Hello all,

My name is Justin and I was wondering if I could bother you for some information regarding Praying Mantis. I am new to this system and I saw an opportunity for me to ask some questions to people out there who share a similar interest as me.

I have some questions regarding the style I study at my school in Massachusetts. Currently I am not able to be at home, but I have been trying to do my own research on Wah Lum Pai Tam Tui since I left. I intend on picking up right where I left off, but there are some informational gaps that should be filled if I want to take this more seriously. I am curious about the breakdown from the original style and how it finally came to become the style I currently learn. At my school I study Wah Lum Pai Tam Tui Northern Style Praying Mantis. I know praying mantis originated as one, and then splitting into two other forms; Northern Style and Southern Style. I currently study under the northern style praying mantis, so that is the branch I am currently concerned with. And correct me if I am wrong, but under the northern style mantis it then breaks into 12 different styles:

Seven Star = Chut Sing
Plum Flower = Moi Fa
Tai chi = Tai Gick
Plum Flower Tai Chi = Moi Fa Tai Gick
Wrestling Hands = Jut Sow
Secret Style = Bay Moon
Jade ring = Yuk Yuan
Six harmony = Lok Haap
Eight Step = Baat Bo
Rigid = Ngan
Flat Plate (Spotless) = Gong barn
Goddess Chi = Sun Gick

Since I study Wah Lum Tam Tui, I was wondering where or which one it falls under. I have been told, if my memory is correct, that it is a form of eight step, but I am not sure. I know the stories of Lee Kwan Shan and how he incorporated his family form of Tam Tui, with wah lum, so from there I feel comfortable with the lineage. But somehow between these twelve styles and Wah Lum Pai Tam Tui, I am confused as to how it came about. I don’t know if you know the answers or not, but right now you all are my best bet. I am particularly curious about the family generations and the evolution of Wah Lum Tam Tui also. If anyone has any information on this I would be very obliged.

I have other small questions too such as, I have heard forms such as “white ape steals a peach” and “eight elbows” also, and am wondering where they fall into the mantis system.

Again, I know you are all busy with much to do, but anything you could volunteer would mean a lot to me and my journey through Wah Lum. Thank you very much for your patience and hope to hear from you. Thanks again.

Justin