Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
Years ago, people trained as some do in present times. They got together with Martial Artists of various systems and exchanged techniques. In other situations, they fought other Martial Artists of different styles. This eventually led to the formulation of specific tactics to deal with the prevalent fighting techniques. Many Southern styles-prefer to stick to the bridge, therefore to combat these people, a different approach was neccesary. Choy Li fut, pesessing the same long arm striking methods, developed the anti-bridge appraoch-if you attempt to stick to a CLF stylist, he will shift and withdraw the bridge and replace it with a strike from another angle. (followed by another, and another...) This is why many Hung Kuen practitioners also studied CLF, and vice-versa. This may also explain styles like Jow-Ga-Hung Tao/Choy Mei-Head of Hung, Tail of Choy. In the line of Hung Kuen I practice, the past few generations had also studied both, as did I. This is why I personally relate to both Hung Kuen and Choy Li Fut.
But some bridging styles like tai chi or tang lang chuen puts on the traps when the opponent's arms withdraws, or follow the path of the withdrawal for a strike. How would CLF deal with this?