Quote Originally Posted by sansooman
It depends on what type of fighting you are involved in. For a street encounter yes, anaerobic fitness is probably 1st but when most people are engaged in a fight their adrenaline will shoot their heart rate up like they are running a sprint. It is the fight or flight reaction in most cases that does this. For those of you that have been in a serious street fight you'll know what I'm talking about.
and as you should know, the adrenaline dump only lasts a few seconds. It's not prolonged. when it's done, you feel sapped, for the reason you stated. I don't think cardio will help you there. What's more beneficial in that aspect is experience - knowing what you are going through physiologically and how to deal with it. When I am breaking up / getting into fights on my job, being out of breath is never a factor unless it's a really long, drawn out altercation.

Being in good cardio shape ensures you will have ALL the energy neccessary to handle the encounter.
I don't deny it helps, just saying that anaerobic is more important in a quick encounter, like a streetfight.

I do the squat pullover combination 4-6 weeks before our promotions to rev up my stamina. It generally takes 3-5 minutes to do one squat pullover set with (currently) 365lbs x 20reps squat and 90lbs x 20reps pullover.
nice. It's not often that I see someone with a squat as high as mine.