This happened a couple of months ago whan that thread on knife fighting was making the rounds, but I couldn't risk bringing it up while it was in the courts, now, the case has been heard, and here's the story.

One of my Pak Mei brothers was attacked with a knife, this is what happened, not a theoretical what if, but what really did happen. I'm posting it for an example of not only the physical, but the legal results.

Firstly, some background, of late, we've had a spate knife attacks and deaths in Sydney. In the last 2 months, I think 4 guys have died, and another 4 just gotten cut up. Usually gangs, usually under 25's, but not exclusively. Some even random. Blades are just a little too popular for my taste.

My Pak Mei brother is very well trained and experienced, but not particularly fit these days. He started as a kid in 1991, and is now just 30. He's Chinese, weighs 74kg (I thought he was lighter), and is 5'5" more or less. He was attacked by a guy about 5'11" and maybe 75-80kg, early 20's. Basically, he is short and solid, the attacker was taller about the same weight (thinner by comparison). Probably Malaysian.

The case was heard in the Sydney Darling Center courts on 9 August.

The mugger accosted him on the street at night, pulled a knife and demanded his cash, my guy said, "leave me along, go away", and the guy thrust at him with the knife, demanding cash again.

He grabbed the wrist from above, pulled, twisted, attacked the elbow with an upward arcing elbow, than snapped up under the corner of his jaw with his fist (the fist on the same arm as the elbow), breaking the jaw loose. It took about 3-5 seconds, it was right out of our forms training.

The attacker had a dislocated wrist, broken elbow and jaw before he hit the ground.

Security from a nearby building came running out, and bailed up my guy, thinking he was the attacker. The mugger had his knife on a chain still attached to his belt, so it was kinda obvious once the cops got there.

My guy was accused of excessive force. They offered him a plea - plead guilty and pay a $2500 fine or go to a judge. He chose the judge, because he didn't want a conviction on his record.

They made him stand up in court and demonstrate what he did, than found that being an experienced martial artist, he should have stopped when he broke the guys arm, and not hit him in the jaw.

The female judge agreed not to record a conviction, but my guy had to pick up the bill for his medical, $1500 "on compassionate grounds". The Mugger, still in hospital, got 3 months for armed robbery.

He was told by his solicitor that the case will probably go on-line into the law school becasue it is a rare example of the victim having to pay the attacker.

I reckon that sux.

In all fairness, the mugger was a dropkick, and my Pak Mei brother is rather experienced, but not a full-on athlete, he's a bit out of shape by his own admission. He has a good deal of 'real' fighting experience, both in HK and Sydney, but back 10 years ago, mostly. Nevertheless, he was threatened with deadly force, and he did not respond with deadly force.

He reckons he should have given the guy the $300 he was carrying and been done with it there and than.

Anybody care to comment?