Thread: Most valuable supplements

Threaded View

Most valuable supplements

These are the essentials in my opinion 1. Good multivitamin, to replenish anything the diet neglects 2. whey protein, post workout recovery, fast digestion 3. Water Water Water and Tea nothing like hydration (and a recent study on the BBC says tea actually does not dehydrate but rather replenishes bodily fluids
    These are the staples which I always use.

other good ones...

creatine- strength and even endurance, it will only enhance the hard work you are doing by increasing the efficiency of muscle cells. Creatine will not necessarily make you gain weight, your workout/caloric intake ratio will determine that. Creatine monohydrate turns into creatine phosphate in the body, an immediate precursor to ATP. Creatine can be considered essential for power athletes.

amino acid supplements- for recovery, of course whey protein and many protein rich foods contain them, but rigorous exercise can deplete them and they aid in recovery, some (glutamine and lycene) actully support the immune system and they prevent breakdown of muscles during training. (The jury is still out on if it is necessary to supplement amino acids due to the fact that they are already in the protein you are consuming. Some Amino Acids are taken pre workout such as arginine and taurine. Both are thought to supply the body with more energy (arginine through helping the body use more NO)

I also grind flaxseeds and put them in my cereal and smoothies. Flaxseeds contain omega 3 fatty acids. More info here:

Fish oil is probably an even better source of omega 3's, including DHA

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

ZMA- zinc, magnesium, and Vit B6 - Aides in recovery and improves quality of rest. Also increases testerone.

glucosamine/chondroien/msn-grappling and exercise can be murder on joints. These nutrients can help repair damage and improve joint/tissue health.

vitamin C- antioxidants repair cellular damage and improve immune health.

NO boosters can help generate energy for your workout

Muscle Milk is a combination of Casein proteins (slow digesting), healthy fats, and a creatine precursor, good as a night time or recovery day protein

Casein Proteins are great for before bed or recovery days. Slow digesting protein.

Anyone else have any essentials of theirs they would like to share?

Any thoughts welcomed.

if your getting a cold
    www.zicam.com
    it is some good stuff!
    Last edited by bodhitree; 12-13-2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: stuff
    Bless you