Thread: Internal training of strength

Threaded View

Internal training of strength

Here's the topic boyles and ghouls:

'Regular' weight lifting builds defined muscles and measureable strength. For example I used to be able to bench around 200 pounds. I know this strength doesn't translate into anything to do with martial arts but it's measureable.(measurable?) Methods like Hung Gar also train strength and power in such ways with more of a focus on dynamic tension.

AFter being introduced to the internal arts I've stopped doing most of the above. One of the chi gung sets I do daily(sometimes weekly) is called the '8 brocade plus'. The person and book I learned this from touted that with deliberate movements and intense concentration on coordinating breath and movement in a relaxed way relaxation I'd be able to gain a different kind of strength than the above with weights and what not. This type of strength was described as strenth derived from the tendons instead of the muscle belly of the major muscle groups. I'm not sure if this chi gung set is having any effects on me besides to help rehabilitate old injuries. Can anyone list any ways that this 'internal' strength can be seen, felt, measured or even applied? Thanks in advance for replying.
    Last edited by travelsbyknight; 09-20-2006 at 03:11 PM.
    A penny saved is... not much.