It's all irrelevant: If you want to enter a sporting competition you have to follow the rules.

What are you telling us? That if you go into a sports ring you're not going to be able to win without grabbing someone's clavicle? That it's going to cramp your style? Be serious, what proportion of your art is clavicle grabbing?

And given that it takes a lot less time and accuracy to punch somebody (even to punch them in the clavicle area but especially say, somewhere useful like their head) how often do you think a clavicle grab will come up over a punch?

So what your grip has a 130 whatevers: numbers don't mean anything if you don't follow KISS! And strategically it makes no sense: while you're faffing about with flappy slappy punches with the aim of setting up the clavicle grab, you could have been knocking him out!

Doesn't mean you're not going to be able to use it in the street where the environmental difficulties, elements of surprise and fitness come into it, but if you think not being able to grab somebody's clavicle will cause a serious disadvantage to you in a ring fight, your system is silly!

If we give you the benefit of the doubt and add up ALL THESE FACTORS maybe you would have a point, except again for the fact that they all require a set-up to deliver them. And, if you're so concerned with the two-three-or-more move set-ups, you're going to be missing the opportunity to hit him with a jab-cross-hook, or jab-cross-uppercut, that could KO him in half the time! And if you're talking on the ground, well how does your style's groundwork match up against college wrestling or JJ, or even judo groundwork?

I'd love to find a competition that allows head-butts. Every single session I've been having recently has involved the set-up and delivery of a head-butt, which are very simple and easy to find, quick and devastating. I like them, and I consider them a core part of wing chun. Ditto elbows: I use elbows all the time and in Shooto (which is would be the easiest competition for me to enter over here with anything like NHB rules) there are now no elbows.

So if I want to compete I have to find another venue which may be difficult. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to use my other skills in the ring. It's a simple choice.

Conversely, I don't see how some of these MMAers can say that I'm making excuses for my style. Of course I want to use what I've got: I have 2 feet, 2 knees, 2 elbows, 2 hands, 1 head - so out of 9 basic weapons I can only use 6: two-thirds of my arsenal (3/4 if you take the head out on the basis that it's very short range - but it's still difficult).

But this comes back to your clavicle grabs/fat grabs: I don't see how you can compare specialized attacks like those to bread-and-butter strikes.