Thread: Weight lifitng makes your joints weak!!

Threaded View

Weight lifitng makes your joints weak!!

Ok, it's allways been my observation that lifitng weights not only strengthened muscles, but also the bones and joints. Infact I remember seeing a TV special that some doctors are actually prescribing weigth lifting to older women with ostio because it increases bone mass.

Today I was working with a friend, and he made the comment that wieghts make the muscles strong, but the joints are weak. His theory is that if you are fighting a big muscular guy, attack the joints because all the weight lifting wears them out and weakens them. He says "Yeah, they are geting big strong muscles, but at what cost? They are damageing thier joints!!"

I personally think he could not be more wrong about this (Improper and Over training injuries aside). What do the rest of you think about his assertions?

Also, unless I am totally off base here, where did this myth that wieght lifting is bad come from? Kung Fu uses plenty of weighted devices...so how is it that "Weights are bad" came to be in many schools?
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 03-14-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a