I injured my back (again) recently, and after 13 years (yup you read that right) of daily low grade back pain, I finally decided to see a chiropracter.

First thing, the adjustments are magic. I find that I still posess the strained muscle pain from my back injury, but the nagging radiating stuff is completely gone. I was trying to figure out why I felt so wierd the other day and I realized that for the first time in 13 years I was completely without nagging lower back pain.

I am concerned about treatment length. At 35 dollars an adjustment, this is expensive stuff. Years of wrestling and discus and shot have pushed my back and neck out of alignment. The primary concern is what appears to be a degenerating disc at L5 (lumbar 5).

The doc is telling me that treatment will be 3 times a week. At 12 times per month, that is $420. I am in the military, and they told me they do not cover chiropractic care.

He thinks he can have everything corrected in 6 to 8 months. Will I be undergoing adjustment 3 times a week for this long? That's insane! Or do they start off with a 3 times per week course, and then ease up as things improve?

Anybody got any experience with this? I have some goals that my lower back is a part of, so if I have to, I'll find the $420 per month to do this, but just thinking about it hurts my pocketbook :)