Based on my own experiences in street fights as a teenager, getting mugged, etc. I noticed that what this video details is the exact reaction that I would have. I was not a good fighter but my ability to naturally block, which is apparently physiologically proven by everything he is saying, would come out.

Now if I take the kung fu as taught by my Sifu, we take the idea of the flinch and block from a surprise attack and turn it into a defense that makes sense and becomes a counter. Kung Fu, therefore, is building on this natural mechanism and refining it from the base movement towards a system of defense and counter attack. I've heard many people scoff at the idea of just standing there and defening against surprise attacks, but more than likely that is how it will go down on the street.

If we add in iron bridge training, iron palm, forearm conditioning, and body mechanics that resemble the flinch but reinvigorate it with alignment, you suddenly get a very realistic and workable method. Add in disarms, joint locks, sweeps, takedowns, trips, pins, and holds from these positions and a very credible approach emerges.

I'm not discountly sparring, because obviously it has so many qualities and benefits, but this type of training, for seriously minded people concerned about street defense, should not be overlooked. However, as most of us already know that street fighting and sport combat are two different things, it is interesting to see research coming out that documents through scientific principles and empirical examples, why, in many cases this is so. That said, in a street altercation, you may end up going fist o' cuffs and that is where good hard sparring comes into play.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...h&1st2secs.wmv

What do you guys think?