I realize this isn't going to be the easiest question to answer and that it is going to really be a wide open topic. But as the keys are sorta like the "rules" of the system, how do you simplify a question which can really apply to any part of the system? So, what are your thoughts on techniques and the 12 keys as applied to modern day fighting? Do you think still applicable? Are they antiquated to a bit? If so in what ways have you "modernized" the principle or do you adhere to them at all? Again I know this is in no way a specific topic. So please feel free to answer in any way you feel appropriate to the topic. If you wish to pick one key or concept or maybe a general theme applying to the system as a whole.

To start it off: Ou, Lou, Tsai....

As it was always taught to me, that these 3 are the most important of the 12. If you couldn't get these then the others would not follow along correctly. However I don't really think that's necessarily true. Especially given the more "boxing" approach most people lean to in the US. I think its sorta the same situation that Hung Gar guys have in bridging a boxer. Its just not that easy a thing to do. Plucking isn't really something I even try for anymore. To me I've always had more success contacting while moving into an attack, ideally closing the center while pressing closed the arm to seal their upper torso and moving right into a counter attack.

Also I like the intercept hand concept. I'm not sure on the Chinese, Tiao Chin? Basically intercepting an attack and moving straight into a counter with the same hand. I personally like it because its a "quicker" bridge and it still leaves me a free hand. And its a technique that also is used in Hung Gar so I use it sorta as one of my bridging points between the two systems to try to overlap my different techniques and in my opinion I think its easier to apply than the Ou, Lou, Tsai concept as it requires less contact, which is tough to get on someone whose skilled at avoiding bridging technique.

So what are some of your thoughts. How have you found continued success in various common mantis technique? How have you found the traditional tenets needed to be modernized and what did you do to be successful? Sorry again, I know this is really a broad question.