Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
You do realize that Sanchin is a training Kata right?
You wanna make it "martial" that's fine, but that was not its purpose.
Indeed it is. I don't, however, do Sanchin with dynamic tension very often (no more than once a week). Because I use a bit of volume and intensity with regards to resistance training, more than that has proven to me to be detrimental. Being that I still actually liked Sanchin, I began practicing it at different speeds, with a different tempo, and different level of tension. It's still a physically challenging kata, but it often looks different than it's Goju Ryu parent when I'm not using it for dynamic tension.

Also, the late Sensei Sherman Harrell had a HUGE collection of applications for the kata. And personally, I've never been able to see all the movement potential a form trains when I've only done it one way.

For me, it's the same thing as Naihanchi - a fundamental training kata first, but still possessing a ton of applications. I've used at both kata's techniques for self-preservation situations, and have trained them against various levels of resistance for several years.

It's still a fundamental training kata, but it's so much more than that. They all are. And they can be so much more if they're used in conjunction with resistant training partners.