Thread: "Functionalizing" WCK

Threaded View

"So how do you go about 'functionalizing' your WCK from a TWC perspective?
    Do you break out techniques from the forms and drill them for application?
    Do you ignore the forms and just work the essential 'tools' in a sparring format? What are the things that you are finding to work the best and most consistently in realistic sparring? Thanks Victor." (Keith)

***I break out techniques from the TWC forms all the time. Such as pak sao, lop sao, bil sao, bong sao, garn sao, etc. BECAUSE this is part of what it takes to functionalize WCK, imo.

But the key is to make the static drills/sparring-mobile drills fluid.

For example, as you may know, a very big part of TWC is the concept of looking at elbows and knees in order to read what's coming at you in time to react with a skillful move - even if what you're reading is just his forward movement into your space (or very close to coming into your space)...at which point you must attack.

So even though I may have just done some stationary (static) drills against a straight punch with pak as a response (or a cut punch that almost acts like a supercharged pak)...

the fact is the bong sao is another legit response to a straight punch...

or perhaps a bil sao might be used as another response to a straight punch.

But what am I getting at?

The pak attacks the outside of his punching arm...the bil attacks the inside of his punching arm...and the bong sao comes from underneath.

And if I'm watching carefully when the more spontaneous sparring drills are done - then my responses have to be fluid as my partner comes in with straight punches coming from various angles and distances. I might use pak, or bil, or bong, or cut punch, or just attack with a punch of my own.

Now throw in bil or lop against hook or round punches...and you have some very functional drills going. He could be throwing something high or low, round or staight, uppercut or overhand, etc.

So we don't ignore the forms or chi sao - we use both pieces as part of the overall game plan.
    We do forms, chi sao, wooden dummy...AND...we spend a lot of time taking the pieces out of these things and working them.

QUITE A BIT OF TIME.

And we use drilling/sparring with these pieces while wearing headgear and thin gloves in a "live" environment, ie.- if I lose concentration, or whatever...I'm going to get hit in the face with his punch.

And the same with chi sao skills. I may have just come in on his straight punch with a cut punch that bridges his arm - and now he's reacting with all kinds of movement/force/push/pull/throws a punch with his other hand/tries to grab and clinch me, etc....

and I have to take my chi sao contact reflex skills and make them functional HERE...in the midst of this "live" sparring (or spontaneous close-to-sparring drills)...and take his space away/hit him/mess with his balance/take him off the "line" I want to strike on, angle in on him with a more rooted (but very mobile) footwork, pressure him with a strong forward moving body structure, etc.

But do it from "here"...not from "chi sao" position with chi sao rules.

Just some examples.

Repeat the method with kicks.

And use heavy bags, mitts, shields, etc. all the time. For precision and power striking/kicking from various angles and motions. And lots of stretching, strengthening, conditioning, cardio, etc.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-01-2007 at 10:00 PM.