Roy Harris has a training DVD that's really intrigued me. It's called "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40" http://www.royharris.biz/catalog/i19.html

What intrigues me is the concept of patience. Learning a good base- then letting the other guy do all the work. Let's say that you're in a fight in a bar. You only want to achieve a state of neutrality- you don't want to knock him out or whatever. What's it matter if you take him to the ground and go put yourself in a neutral position like letting him put you in the guard? You don't try to pass, or submit him, or whatever- you just keep a good base and don't let him sweep you (easy if he's not trained). You can stay there long enough for it to be broken up. That's reality nowadays- if you punched him, broke one of his limbs, choked him out- whatever- first of all- the attempt to do any of those exposes you to counter attacks that you may lose, second- if you win- the legal war takes over and that's not a good place to be.

I can already hear your keyboards- "what if he wants to kill you or hurt a family member or there's multiple opponents?" Arm yourself- use lethal force (supposably you're all trained to do that).