Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

Threaded View

Wow! This book is screwed up. Its a muddle of confusion written by confused people. Talk about misinformation.
    They even have the basic information wrong. Here is one example:
    This 'order' (more of a dis-order:-) believe that the terms, shi di, shi jie and shi xiong designate the "level of the practitioner". These are relational terms and have nothing to do with the level of the practitioner. Yikes!!! and I have only started reading it.
    r.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's also worth noting that this book did little if anything at all in the way of cross-referencing with historical treatises on the subjects at hand that are extant already and it seems to be a compilation of westernized understandings of what shaolin is/was, what kungfu is/was and so on.

academically speaking, it is at best shaky and at worst, a complete and utter fraud salted with stories from some good points and heaping helpings of musings that have little if anything to do with reality, history, or Shaolin itself.

If I want to learn about WW2 I won't do it through Captain America novels even though the Captain America stories may contain references to real places or things or people or events. The comic script is not a viable source.

Most people, who can go beyond rudimentary knowledge of Shaolin, Zen, martial Arts from Shaolin and so on can clearly and readily see this book is not the greatest of works on the subject.

In my opinion, barely even a mediocre presentation.

No apologies. Because there is no mirror and you and I are not dust upon it.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-20-2008 at 03:46 PM.