Dear all,

In traditional kung fu the use of high kick is not encouraged due to the exposure of the groin to a counter attack. Therefore, when using high kick to the head, there is always a hand in front of the groin, while you perform the kick. Let assume that you are fighting in a life and death situation against a very fast and very powerful opponent, who can kill with one punch. If you do a round house kick to his head, while one of your hands is placed in front of your groin. He side stepped and immediately punch your groin, before you can put your foot on the ground. His punch will hit your hand and damage it. Your hand will most likely be forced to move backward and hit your own groin. The pain on your groin may not be as painful as the result of the direct attack, but it will still hurt you. You hand is now too damaged to be use in the fight. Since you have one weapon less to defence yourself, you will lose the fight and die. I know that having your hand in front of your groin is better than not having it, but the risk of it being damaged is too great.

According to one of the boxing books written about Rocky Marciano's life. Rocky Marciano used to hit his opponents' forearms during boxing matches. If they happened to use them to shield their faces from his attacks. Eventually, they would lower their hands due to the pain they received from his punches. This allowed Rocky to punch into their faces and bodies instead.

My questions are:

1) Why deliberately sacrifice one of your hands (using it as a shield), if you can not run away after receiving a powerful blow to your groin from your own hand?

I do not think an injured person can run very far or very quickly. However, I can be wrong.

2) Are there some secret moves that prevent your hand or groin getting hit while preforming a high kick?

Thank you very much