It's the latest from Baa-Ram-Ewe, who brought us Tony Jaa, Dynamite Warrior and Chocolate. It's basically Spiderman remade by Thai Buddhist Muay Thai fighters. There's some really good stuff in here, mostly from the Thai spin on filmmaking. The fights are fun, although not as mindblowing as the rest of Panna Rittikrai's work. They aren't filmed well, adopting the quick-cut style of comic movies instead of the long sustained shots, which is a shame because the actors all seem capable of longer choreographic dialogs. But still, it's Baa-Ram-Ewe, so the fights do deliver - the first catfight is in the first 15 minutes. There's a good rave fight that's almost tokusatsu/videogame absurd. The final fight is fun mostly because of the villians get up. It's got some nice location shots (Ankor Wat, Himalaya, Bangkok), some cheesey CGI (they are smart enough to render Mercury Man powerless for the mano-a-mano fight scenes), the hero's sibling is a perfect slice of Thailand done with respect and dignity instead of caricature (I caught on instantly but I'm curious if others won't), the villians speak English (despite being Muslim terrorists played by Thai actors), but I really doubt they know what they're saying because each line is delivered so completely flat that's it's almost comical, and Americans are evil weapons vendors and stupid tourists. I really liked the Buddhist themes and was pretty entertained from start to finish, but then again, I enjoyed Dynamite Warrior.

I really want to hit someone with a flying elbow strike to the top of the skull. That just looks dope.

Want to win Mercury Man on DVD? Check out our latest online sweepstakes. Registration for the KungFuMagazine.com/ MERCURY MAN Sweepstakes begins at 12:00 a.m. PST on 01/26/09. Online entries must be received by 6:00 p.m. PST on 02/09/09. Good luck everyone!