I'm curious about the various techniques people use in roundhouse kicks. The technique my school uses is one that I'm not really finding anywhere else, and has led to some confusion when I discuss kicks with other people, as apparently everyone assumes I'm talking about a different kick than I am. I'd be interested to know if people here are more familiar with it, what opinions everyone has, etc, as well as if other schools utilize the kick under a different name.

I don't have a video camera, so here's my best shot at describing it:

Chamber in front of the body, knee straight up, shin vertical, and hips square. As the hips snap to the side, the foot points (all our chambers are with foot flexed) and the shin pivots to horizontal while snapping out to straighten the leg. The knee does not move in space from where it was in chamber. Striking surface is predominantly the top of the foot, but in practice works as foot, ankle, or shin.

It's an interesting kick, as compared to other roundhouses I've seen it can be thrown in an extremely narrow space, and it seems to catch people off guard fairly well. It's taking a while for me to build solid power with it, but I am getting there, and that already seems somewhat offset by how quickly it allows a temple shot. It also leaves me basically still in chamber or with a knee block up, though personally I don't like throwing kick combos as it leaves me on one leg and vulnerable longer than I prefer.

Thoughts?