Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
You guys that advocate fighting with someone that is trying to hurt you, is that what you do? You know, if you did have any real experience outside the ring with actual fighting, you would know that each fight is going to be a completely different scenario, and that you will not be able to actually learn anything. You will only be able to apply what you have already learned. I think most of you have already stated a time or 2 that in a fight you tend to forget everything and just start fighting, so how the heck are you going to learn at such a time? I know that none of you are actually fighting. If you were, you would not be here arguing on this forum. You wouldn't have time. So you do all your fighting here.
There is truth to this. The topic of self-defense and violence is a HUGE one. A lot a guys seem interested in just learning to fight a guy one on one. But the parameters of real world violence goes far beyond what can be learned in training for the ring. I feel fortunate to have classmates and instructors who are in the law enforcement and the military as they gave me valuable perspective on the subject.