Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
Wing Chun Kung Fu is primarily a fighting art, but one can also learn and develop other things from it's study and practice: sound body alignment and posture, chi breathing development to increase one's inner vitality, focus and concentration, a sense of discipline, etc.

But it is primarily a fighting art.

And as a fighting art it is primarily a close quarter standup striking art that also utilizes kicking technique, some basic standing armlocks, and some basic sweeps/takedowns.

And it's best used in street combat since one is usually going to be in close standup range more often than not in everyday life experiences that might turn violent anyway...(No, just in a phonebooth, LOL)...and wherein going to a full clinch or the ground might not be the smartest thing to do if it can be avoided.

And dan chi sao (and any other aspect/drill/training regimen one might care to mention) is geared to do just what I've described: teach one how to fight at close range.
Agreed (seem to be saying that alot on this thread) for the most part on what you say above Vic. Dan chi, the example I used, does it teach one to fight or does it train something that can be used in a fight? I've never seen two people line up to fight one another in a dan chi position. Please feel free to give details on your dan chi drill, the how's and why's, as well as any other drills that can translate to fighting skills. For example, when you are in fok position and your partner throws out his palm strike from tan, how does your fok react, and why does it react that way, and what is the relevance to combat by doing it the way you do? Since this is a forum we might as well get into details on things, right?

The point of this thread is what is the value of Wing Chun training in relation to combat effectiveness. We all know it is used for the most part in close range, but why is that the case, and how do we learn to function in that range thru WC training?

James