Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hold the Fist Tight

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I wouldn't recommend clenching the teeth tightly in a conscious fashion - as you could possibly damage your own teeth during the heat of battle with too much intensity...

in fact, the tongue should be placed so that the tip gently (more-or-less) touches the roof of your palate.
    I am almost at the age where I can take my teeth out and put them somewhere in safety while I fight

Hmmmmm gives me an idea, what if I put my teeth in my hand, not clenched too tightly and use them to "bite" my opponent Now that could be COOL!!
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Or you could call up Mike Tyson and he could give a seminar in your town...
    (you could be the host)...wherein he'll teach biting technique without having to remove one's dentures.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That's cause WC lacks the coolness factor of Karate !
    I'm dating myself a little here, but didn't Huey Lewis and The News do a song called "Hip to be Square"
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    EXACTLY. And this is a common problem/error, especially for certain styles/methods and folks with little hard contact experience...

This is like karate 101.. Basic stuff..
    "Basic stuff" is like "common sense", ....... not so common.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Depends on the WC. .
    Exactly Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Depends on the WC. btw, "fighter in the wind" is a great movie.
    I agree, but of course, I am bias.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

even when the hands are in a tight fist, you can still break them when fighting, pro boxer know how to make a proper fist but still break their hands. its almost always because they hit a bony part of the body like the top of the head and elbows remember they also wrap their hands to help them with breaking and jamming the thumb and wrist

Just came across a thread on the UG (mma.tv)

...entitled "THE KO PUNCH!"

Posted: 23 hours ago Member Since: 11/22/05

Jeff Joslin is a former mma fighter who trained in boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.

CHECK OUT THIS FIRST POST ON JOSLIN'S THREAD:

I just finished writing --took a few weeks-- my report titled "Developing the KO Punch" which shares 12 different principles that will have you hitting harder than ever.

It's always nice to win a fight in the first round with a quick KO and hit the after party instead of the hospital.

Enjoy!

Here's Tip #7:

Stay Relaxed and Loose

A relaxed strike is a powerful strike. That concept is simple to grasp but very difficult to put into action. When anger, fear, fatigue and other emotions kick in during a fight, the body often tenses up making ultra-powerful punching very difficult. A fighter’s lack of experience or lack of technical training often results in them throwing stiff, slow, laboured punches. Even worse the telegraphed punches they attack with are usually thrown by themselves, not within a combination that could drastically increase any chances of scoring a knockout.

In training, think of your arm as two different parts, the fist and the arm. The arm must take on the attributes of a piece of rope, hanging loose as it swings to and from your upper body. Alternately the fist must tighten, with its thumb on the outside, remaining clenched as if it were an iron ball hanging from that rope. At first you will find this extremely challenging to do and you’ll quickly realize that it’s going to take a lot of practice and focus to get things just right. As you tighten your hand you will often feel your entire arm tighten and vice versa with your hand becoming too loose when you allow your arm to relax. Just keep trying!

You’ll know when you get it right because you will instantly multiply the power of you punch and lessen the amount of effort it takes to throw it. That’s when your true punching power will begin to emerge.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-13-2010 at 12:27 PM.

That was exactly what I was trying to say on this thread.

It isn't possible to tighten the hand without tensing the forearm muscles, you knwo that right?
    I think you mean to Tighten the fist "just enough".

Like when you punch with something in your hand, like a roll of quarters, you hold them just tight enough not to let go.

I stated that much earlier on this thread: the arm muscles will tighten slightly - but with practice this can be held to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I stated that much earlier on this thread: the arm muscles will tighten slightly - but with practice this can be held to a minimum.
    Every boxing coach had their favorite way of expressing the tight fist, but the uniform view was always "tight enough not to collapse under impact".
    It's more about the wrist than the fist anyways, if there is a weak link, its the wrist.

To me the fist and forearm become a unit, like an arrow..a nail, or like what an A1-M1 tank fires..a titanium rod.. We lock the wrist up for maximum stability, and like a nail, the body is the hammer.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    To me the fist and forearm become a unit, like an arrow..a nail, or like what an A1-M1 tank fires..a titanium rod.. We lock the wrist up for maximum stability, and like a nail, the body is the hammer.
    ***YOU just brought back a Moy Yat memory, Jim/Yung Chun...

One of the early New York students of Moy Yat was Jason Lau's brother (if I remember right, his first name was Robert)...and I can distinctly remember a conversation between Robert and Moy Yat waay back in my first few months at the school (I stayed for 8 years)...

and Robert was asking about what parts of the fist/arm should be held tight while throwing the punches...before impact...while the remainder of the arm remains loose.

Moy Yat said it was the entire hand and up to (and including) about an inch or so past the wristbone going up the arm.

I've always agreed with that as the years went on and I got more-and-more familiar with throwing wing chun punches...and then when I heard William Cheung add a dimension to this when he said that "you push from the elbow"...

I got an even clearer picture.

Slightly off topic...

...but a nice take by this guy Jeff Joslin about how to throw a jab:

"Hey Mountain Medic,

Do you mean stepping in with the jab then stepping out of range immediately? If so, try stepping in on the ball of your front foot instead of the entire sole. This will give you the ability to drive yourself back to your original position easily and quick.

When stepping in with your front foot keep you back foot planted where it is, not moving it forward, so that you can return to your stance with good distance between you and your opponent."

***GOOD STUFF.