Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WC VS MMA, Street fighting & boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Yes they can, but how often in a fight do you actually see that happen, especially conpared to the number of knock downs due to head strikes?

And it t does not change the fact that most people are head hunters so shielding is a better option in most cases, and things like crazy monkey do show you how to deal with body shots whilst still shielding the head

Bas faught alot of fights with strange rules in japan which meant bodyshots were the better option, in the Cage in his couple of fights he went to the head alot

Yes you will get hit in the head, shielding is a very good option to limit this, espcially if you are looking to escape or get close and clinch, if you want to trade then you will need good boxing, but sheilding can help you bridge the gap and from a selfdefence point of view its easy to learn, a gross motor function and a high percentage move, but a bad combination really.

well yes because it is true like you said most people are head hunters( i think people in martial arts in general are this way not just mma guys ) but it doesnt not change the fact that body blows can be extremely dangerous

as ive said i think its best to use a combination of parrying/slapping and shielding

both have their advantages and disadvantages as has beena dressed here

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Body shots are a funny thing, they work real well but can be "neutralized" with good arm (elbow) work and conditoning.
    I all my kyokushin matches, fought and seen, I recall half a dozen ended by body shots.
    Now, for those not in the now, kyokushin is ALL about body shots ( no head punches allowed when fought bareknuckle).
    Now, I got more than the average knockdowns by body shots, but that had more to do with my boxing background than anything else.
    I know a few guys that take body shots like they were nothing.
    However, VS the untrained or rookie fighter, they work very well because not only are they not conditoned, they don't think about them that much.
    Most people tend to be head hunters and with good reason of course.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Body shots are a funny thing, they work real well but can be "neutralized" with good arm (elbow) work and conditoning.
    I all my kyokushin matches, fought and seen, I recall half a dozen ended by body shots.
    Now, for those not in the now, kyokushin is ALL about body shots ( no head punches allowed when fought bareknuckle).
    Now, I got more than the average knockdowns by body shots, but that had more to do with my boxing background than anything else.
    I know a few guys that take body shots like they were nothing.
    However, VS the untrained or rookie fighter, they work very well because not only are they not conditoned, they don't think about them that much.
    Most people tend to be head hunters and with good reason of course.
    Nicely put and this is my experience too from helping guys train for old school amature MMA in the uk (which only allowed body shots standing) guys in good condition could take a lot of body shots, (plus with the hands and elbows low they were easy to block)

i think if we are honest not many people unless they have faught full contact alot have the condition to take a good body shot from someone who knows what they are doing (i know i don't lol) but even less people can take a good head shot

This is what Wing Chun looks like when it is trained and fought full contact in an MMA environment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    This is what Wing Chun looks like when it is trained and fought full contact in an MMA environment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo
    Aaron ( WC under Alan Orr) is the guy in white, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Aaron ( WC under Alan Orr) is the guy in white, right?
    Yes, he's the guy who won.

Over in the WC forum there will be a whole bunch of them that will give you a whole bunch of reasons as to why that isn't wing chun.

I thought he looked pretty good. I liked how he used the head shots to set up the take downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Yes, he's the guy who won.
    Didn't see the end, long clip and I am at work

Hi friend thanks for the post as I was in search for the videos and got few links that could help me....you have asked how could we tackle and maintain the distance to fight right,It's not that difficult to face this coz you need to have a lot of practice and focus much on the movements that really pushes you down...Everything is possible,it's a matter of time and you can face easily if you can grab the exact position with serious efforts ...great day
    Want to be more tough?Then why late,just feel the difference by karate for kids at http://karateforkids.com.au/