Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: for Terence...

for Terence...

do you read and/or speak cantonese?

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    do you read and/or speak cantonese?
    No, I use a dictionary (just like I do for english when I don't know what a word means) and ask one of the guys I train with who does.

wasnt a loaded question, honest!

i just wanted to know as you seem to have little room for manoeuvre in your interpretation of the kuit.

i wanted to know whether this was your interpretation, an interpretation that was given to you, or something else.

also, dont forget that many lineages have differing kuit, sometimes radically and sometimes based on semantics

wasnt a loaded question, honest!

i just wanted to know as you seem to have little room for manoeuvre in your interpretation of the kuit.

i wanted to know whether this was your interpretation, an interpretation that was given to you, or something else.

also, dont forget that many lineages have differing kuit, sometimes radically and sometimes based on semantics
    I understand. Look, I don't take anyone's word for anything, I check and recheck as many sources as possible, etc. I am VERY critical in all things.

There is a core WCK kuit that you find across lineage (just like there are core WCK movements that you find across lineage).

A huge problem with WCK is that loads and loads of bullsh1t has been piled onto that core, obfuscating it. Most people can't find that core through all the bullsh1t.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I understand. Look, I don't take anyone's word for anything, I check and recheck as many sources as possible, etc. I am VERY critical in all things.

There is a core WCK kuit that you find across lineage (just like there are core WCK movements that you find across lineage).

A huge problem with WCK is that loads and loads of bullsh1t has been piled onto that core, obfuscating it. Most people can't find that core through all the bullsh1t.
    granted and agreed with.

i asked the point years ago, if two people have the same teacher and one has been there 1 year and one 10 years. and the 10 year student performs his drills much better and his knowledge is much higher, but the 1 year student beats him in sparring every time; who is better at wing chun?

do you have a link to the kuit that you relate to?

granted and agreed with.

i asked the point years ago, if two people have the same teacher and one has been there 1 year and one 10 years. and the 10 year student performs his drills much better and his knowledge is much higher, but the 1 year student beats him in sparring every time; who is better at wing chun?
    There is actually a kuit that says Hoc Mo Mo Gong Sien Hou, Tat Jie Wai Sien - Don't speak of who is senior or junior; the one who attains the skill first is the senior.

WCK is no different than any other sport or athletic activity in that regard. How LONG you've been golfing or playing tennis is meaningless in determining your skill level -- there are people who play their whole lives and are forever duffers, and others who get really good in a very short period of time.

do you have a link to the kuit that you relate to?
    No. The core kuit (the commonality between the Yip, YKS, Gu Lao, etc. kuit) isn't posted on the 'net.

thanks for your responses

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    There is actually a kuit that says Hoc Mo Mo Gong Sien Hou, Tat Jie Wai Sien - Don't speak of who is senior or junior; the one who attains the skill first is the senior.
    More of a classical saying than a kuen kuit.

學無(講)先後、達者為先

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    More of a classical saying than a kuen kuit.

學無(講)先後、達者為先
    Very true. Some of the kuit are widely used classical sayings, for example Kuen Yau Sum Faat - "The fist comes from the heart" is in xing yi and many other arts. Some kuit are specific to WCK's method.

As I see them, the kuit just provide a direction for your practice, but it is the practice that is primary.

The old "Loy lau hui sung, lat sao zik chung" is a good one but it can be interpreted incorrectly in the absence of guidance, i.e. what "zik chung" refers to (hand or whole body).

I asked some questions ages ago about:

有形打形、無形打影、無影破中
    "Yau ying4 da ying4, mo ying4 da ying2, mo ying2 por jung"
    (Have shape hit shape, no shape hit shadow, no shadow break centre)

I never did get a satisfactory answer.

有形打形、無形打影、無影破中

What is it you wanted exactly? This again, is just another classical saying isn't it?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The old "Loy lau hui sung, lat sao zik chung" is a good one but it can be interpreted incorrectly in the absence of guidance, i.e. what "zik chung" refers to (hand or whole body).

有形打形、無形打影、無影破中

CFT,

Basically it refers to:

1) Yau ying da ying 有形打形 - If you see a shape, hit it. That is obvious. The target is in front of you - just hit it!

2) mo ying da ying 無形打影 - If no form, hit the shadow. This refers to the moving target. The action is too fast for your eyes to see, so strike at what you glimmer. Its like shooting a moving target - you shoot at where the target will be.

3) mo ying por jung 無影破中 - No Shadow, break center. This means the target is in front of you, break his center of gravity, control him, strike him at will. This is the WCK core objective. You need to push, pull or wedge and perpetually keep your opponent in a state of unbalance so you can strike him at will - breaking his COG (in Chinese, this is 破中) constantly to control him. Every strike has an unbalancing and resistance factor or a force setting up the next blow.

Of course, this supposes one has the correct training to do so. If no structure, you can't 破中 - your localized arm power is inadequate to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Chu sifu. It's just that the kuit seems to me to be on a continuum of "most preferred" to "last resort". But from your explanation there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the 3 "phases", except from yau ying da ying to mou ying da ying.

-----

Spencer, this one is not a classical saying. Definitely a kungfu thing, if not WCK specific.

VT does not bring one or the other of these, it always brings BOTH....
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

If you just "zik chung" with the hand you're just arm punching; if with the body then that brings the hands (IMO). I think body has to move in order to maintain the optimum elbow-body (1-fist) distance.