Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a Good Rigid S. Sword

Funny you should mention the guard on the Hsu jian

We ran an article by Adam Hsu himself in our 2005 January/February: The Sword Collector's Special - A Straight Talk about Straight Sword. The Adam Hsu jian was historic - it was the first time that a master designed and name-branded a sword so. In the article, Master Hsu described his reasoning behind designing the guard that way.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'd like to read that, is there a way to read that article/get that issue?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

actually wait....i might have that issue in a box somewhere...is that the sword issue with the sword that has the free moving jade sphere in the hilt?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i have a hanwei qi jian... got it on sale for 400 bucks from 600... forged from one billet of steel with a rayskin handle - pretty practical for most anything... form, show, or combat.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i have a hanwei qi jian... got it on sale for 400 bucks from 600... forged from one billet of steel with a rayskin handle - pretty practical for most anything... form, show, or combat.
    I always thought that it was a nice looking piece - I take it that you recommend it?

Hey;

You have to be a little careful when making a deision, and look at the sword Guard.

Speaking from experiance;

There are many different styles of using the jian, but often within a style there are different GRIPs of the sword. Depending on your style Some of the grips involve actually holding onto the guard area as well and not just the handle. Not sure what style you use, but to keep your options open you should go for something with a very comfortable guard, not too fancy. Typically something that tapers towards guard, and the guard can be held also. I.e a guard that curves away from the handle. Also you want to make sure it looks smooth, because even if you hold it on the handle, you hold it right by the guard, and you don't want anything thats going to be uncomfortable. Lots and lots of swords make a mistake here. Its less of a problem if your going slow, but once you go fast you will cut your hands to pices on a rough guard.

You also want to make sure you get something to wrap the handle with (like a tennis racket tape). Looks bad, but will improve performance.

ANd yea like you already said, don't buy a competition wushu blade. If someone with power uses one it will tear after the first performance. They don't last long at all. Plus if you like to swing it around in the house you will inevitably hit it against something and that will also break the blade. Even if you use it with low power they bend after the first few uses.

I have this one and I like the weight amd balance of it. It's not flexible.

http://www.wle.com/products/WGL170.html

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I always thought that it was a nice looking piece - I take it that you recommend it?
    i like it... i used a few cheap POS swords, then one day i couldn't take it anymore and it so happened i found them on sale for 1/3 off the price... i also love the fact that the entire sword is just one piece of steel with a rayskin wrapped handle - rayskin has amazing feel and grip to it. yes... i would recommend this piece.

ahhhhh... it's sooo beautiful!!!
    Last edited by uki; 04-22-2010 at 12:55 AM.