Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Structure Functional Application

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Compare that theoretical non-fighting nonsense video "structure" with the structure used in systems that actually do realistic movements against other skilled opponents who are also doing realistic movements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shtzE6brI08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2oXxEOyUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXVLC...eature=related

Notice how the "structure" among people who are actually going full force against resisting opponents is completely different than what you see in that chi sao video.
    that drilling basic stuff leads to this later..but without balance drills your trying to stay standing , never mind fighting what coming at you relentlesly...dale reserve your final persoanl opinions to facing philipp fighting...not watching drills
    I have faced him

watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNspO...eature=related

your showing me the fighters not guys drilling basic moves in the gym ....guys can break down actions to single out specific parts/components of an action.in seung ma toi ma its alignment facing, balanced movement to help further development for tho goal

FIGHTING...

Dale sadly what YOU have come to know as vt is bad habit vt, c r a p ...I can spot it too, you dont have exclusivity on bad : )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-15-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    that drilling basic stuff leads to this later..but without balance drills your trying to stay standing , never mind fighting what coming at you relentlesly...dale reserve your final persoanl opinions to facing philipp fighting...not watching drills
    I have faced him

watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNspO...eature=related
    Same crappy "structure".

There is a reason why you don't see that structure among decent fighters when they are facing halfway skilled opponents who are attempting to take them down, lock them up, or knock their head off.

I guess theoretical non-fighters will never understand this.

I have faced him
    Really now? You've fought full contact against him?

Or is your idea of "facing" just more of those unrealistic drills?

Same crappy "structure".

There is a reason why you don't see that structure among decent fighters when they are facing halfway skilled opponents who are attempting to take them down, lock them up, or knock their head off.

I guess theoretical non-fighters will never understand this.
    tsk tsk Dale I had hopes for you.

your showing me the fighters not guys drilling basic moves in the gym ....guys can break down actions to single out specific parts/components of an action.in seung ma toi ma its alignment facing, balanced movement to help further development for tho goal
    If you had ever trained in a functional gym, you would have seen the basic moves done in those gyms are as close as possible to the actual movements done when performed for real.

You won't go to a wrestling, bjj, boxing, mt, or sambo practice and drill moves in stances that you will not do in fighting. From day one you are taught to do the movement in the stance that is as close as possible to the way it will be done against a resisting opponent.

It is completely unfunctional and counterproductive to learn to be in a "structure" that is different than the way you will use it for real.

Really now? You've fought full contact against him?

Or is your idea of "facing" just more of those unrealistic drills?
    ...you should know what the answers are Dale

It is completely unfunctional and counterproductive to learn to be in a "structure" that is different than the way you will use it for real.

That is 100% true.

If one's style is WCK.

Then, the idea is come accept goes return....etc.

how functional and productive if one practice all kind of Kiu Sau with all kind of stance and all kind of bai jong "structure"? but none address the implementation of come accept Goes return...." dynamicaly, and while is action doing all type of basic Southern China martial art or TKD or Boxing or MMA. also, talk all about theories...etc but at action do all the chasing hands and Jiu Shek (posture IE tan sau against this hand, bil sau use against that technics.) where all belongs to wishfull thinking theory. like in this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ramwk_AkhgA.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Most of the time, those who have a "structure" use it at the wrong distance. WCK is supposed to use structure at a close distance to offset the opponent's balance.

Yip Man was said to always have people on their heels or their toes, just teetering off balance. This was the core of what Hawkins taught me. Ho Kam Ming showed me the same thing, as did Wong Shun Leung. I can see Chu Shang Tin do the same. They epitomize what is in Yip Man WCK as "Lai Lou Hui Sung, Lut Sao Jik Chung." I am sure what I am teaching is the core essence epitomized in that statement - and there is no other interpretation, at least from the line of Yip Man - Hawkins Cheung - to me. I clearly show this in my DVD.

Other branches like Weng Chun and Yik Kam WCK did the same. I was surprised when Andreas Hoffman did the same, although he looked like a different horse, he still gyrated his pelvis like love making. Hendrik Santo also does the same idea, but subtler. Others I met had some of it, or not.

When I investigated other WCK, they had a different strategy and a longer distance. When they struck it was at arm's length - too long to make it work in the same way. And there is no lower leg movement, or dynamic body structure. It was not the same pelvis pumping and offset balance - and a different functionality. I will not say it is wrong, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Most of the time, those who have a "structure" use it at the wrong distance. WCK is supposed to use structure at a close distance to offset the opponent's balance.

Yip Man was said to always have people on their heels or their toes, just teetering off balance. This was the core of what Hawkins taught me. Ho Kam Ming showed me the same thing, as did Wong Shun Leung. I can see Chu Shang Tin do the same. They epitomize what is in Yip Man WCK as "Lai Lou Hui Sung, Lut Sao Jik Chung." I am sure what I am teaching is the core essence epitomized in that statement - and there is no other interpretation, at least from the line of Yip Man - Hawkins Cheung - to me. I clearly show this in my DVD.

Other branches like Weng Chun and Yik Kam WCK did the same. I was surprised when Andreas Hoffman did the same, although he looked like a different horse, he still gyrated his pelvis like love making. Hendrik Santo also does the same idea, but subtler. Others I met had some of it, or not.

When I investigated other WCK, they had a different strategy and a longer distance. When they struck it was at arm's length - too long to make it work in the same way. And there is no lower leg movement, or dynamic body structure. It was not the same pelvis pumping and offset balance - and a different functionality. I will not say it is wrong, just different.

distance is a crucial learning curve of vt fighting....like you I founf most do chi-sao at wrists contact distances of dan chi-sao basic inrto levels....when you hit and defelct in on eaction you have to be doing a hit to jaw and deflection in that space / distance, close up....to generate force that close without drawing hands awy is the goal as well...dynamic momentum in attacking, with good heavy punches , rather than chasing air ...nobody said vt was easy
    never mind finding someone who had a holistic approach from years of fighting and studying with Yip Man on the most regular basis...

Blog Entries
    Great thead Robert!

I agree 100% !!, what are some of the different strategies that you utilize to close into the opponent to be able to apply dynamic structure?

I was surprised when Andreas Hoffman did the same, although he looked like a different horse, he still gyrated his pelvis like love making. Hendrik Santo also does the same idea, but subtler.
    Which mechanics does Hendrik Santo use to do this in a subtler manner.

Does Hendrik "pump his pelvis much" when applying structure, or just brings the power up from the ground up through his legs with very little pumping of his hips?

I am familar with the body mechanics that Andreas uses to generate structure and power. What are the differences between the way Andreas applies body structure/usage compared to how hendrik Santo does it in the Yik Kam linage?
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 05-15-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Does Hendrik "pump his pelvis much" when applying structure, or just brings the power up from the ground up through his legs with very little pumping of his hips?

Hendrik doesnt use those pumping hips stuffs, because it is a different technology.

If you really understand multi-directional force vectors.
    perhaps you need to ask yourself why do you link hip pumping to multi-dimentional force vector generation? can a hip pumping generate six directional force vectors?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-15-2010 at 11:31 AM.

pull over Hendrik , this is the forum VT police, have you got a license for that bs you just tried to pass off no hips tsk tsk, my singing poet, you cant have a good dynamic if you leave out Pamela altogether guys pamela pamela hump hump hump those hips

chum kil is all about Pamela

pull over Hendrik , this is the forum VT police, have you got a license for that bs you just tried to pass off no hips tsk tsk, my singing poet, you cant have a good dynamic if you leave out Pamela altogether guys pamela pamela hump hump hump those hips

chum kil is all about Pamela

you can hump your hip as you like it. But I am not going to do it, a snake doesnt have hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    you can hump your hip as you like it. But I am not going to do it, a snake doesnt have hip.
    ah more felonious bs ! okay buddy lets see your license and registration, tell it to the Judge ...and we know who that is , twitch twitch.

True.

On the flip side however, if one tries to use structure from too close a position then they are essentially already collapsed.

One has to understand the balance from being stretched out and collapsed. What I like to think of as having gone a "bridge too far" (movie reference) or a "non-starter" Haha . (Meaning finished before you get out the gate).

I'll just ignore Hendriks ignorant Bai Jong comments for now.
    Last edited by duende; 05-15-2010 at 12:20 PM.