Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadsword

Broadsword

Hello,

I am looking for a good Dao, I don't want a wushu broadsword but I don't know much about how heavy they are supposed to be or where the point of balance needs to be or what to look for in terms of craftsmanship. It would be awesome if I could keep this purchase around $100.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product....+Kung-Fu+Sword

this is what I am looking at. I've read a couple reviews and it seems to be the most accurate in my price range but I wanted to see what the forum had to say.

I may even be interested in purchasing something gently used from a reputable person.

thank you,

Michael
    Ron Paul '08

http://myspace.com/ronpaul2008

Hope for America!

That sword is razor sharp FYI
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    why would anyone want a razor sharp "practice sword?" that's just plain stupid.
    Unless you are doing practice cuts, or going out to war, there is no need.
    BTW-I've sliced my hand just taking it out of the scabbard-The guy at the counter neglected to mention that the scabbard was slotted.
    And as far as "practice cuts" go-it is one thing to study a art like Iaido, and devote yourself to the development of your skill, combining body, mind, self-cultivation, self-perfection., ,etc.
    It would be a rarity to find people training in broadsword or gim, who actually take it to that level.
    Most people just like to say, "Look what I can do!"
    (insert clip of Stuey here...)
    Last edited by TenTigers; 05-24-2010 at 06:40 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

That sword is the only sword I ever cut myself with for the exact same reason.
    I keep it high on my sword rack and have done a few practice cuts with it.
    Slices most sliceable objects like proverbial butter.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I am also always looking for that perfect sword, be it gim or dandao.
    I once bought this nice dandao at a toournament. Nice balance, stainless steel blade, unfinished wooden grips, so when your hand sweats, it doesn;t slip. Great.
    A few weeks later, after doing comps, demos, etc I happened to notice that it was sharp! Great. Now what do I do with it?
    I'm taking a file to the edge.
    You have to be carefull even with practice swords. Many are very thin, on the top edge as well. Run your forearm against it (circle around the head and conceal the sword) and you can slice your arm.
    Some things are just plain stupid.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I do not condone a beginner practicing with sharpened weapons. But, it will teach you to respect the weapon. In our modern day practices most have forgotten that the classical weapons are in fact instruments of death not toys.

In regards to the TS, you may not want a wushu steal but it doesn't sound like you know much (if anything) about the broadsword and therefore should start off with a wushu or spring steal training sword (avoid wooden dao's they're garbage). But do what you want, you do have that freedom. If you cut yourself, you deserve it.

Well, If you cut yourself with it you KNOW you're doing it WRONG.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I love working with sharps

I seldom do anymore, but it adds a certain reality to your training. I suppose that's fallout from my iaido days. It's definitely not for everyone.

Our forums sponsor carries that Hanwei piece too (but a tad more pricey )
    High-Carbon Steel Kung Fu Broadsword with black scabbard (Sharpened)

Another nice Hanwei dao is this one:
    Dao (Kung Fu) sword

If you're looking to stay under $100, fopah, try this one from Dragon Well:
    Broadsword (Dao) - Spring Steel - 28", 30", 32"

Here's a heftier version, also from Dragon Well, and a little over $100:
    Broadsword (Dao) - Combat Steel - 28", 30", 32"

And lastly, here's the same piece sharpened:
    Sword - Sharpened Single Broadsword Combat Steel

As for balance, some might lecture you about 'correct balance' but it's really a matter of personal preference. My first master tended to like the balance point back towards the handle, more like a power tool. Fencer talk about two-finger balance and such, akin to two fingers of whiskey . People that are just starting cutting practice tend to prefer the balance to be more blade heavy because it makes it easier. That's actually more like chopping then cutting, but I won't quibble.

As for these blades, I like them all. The first one is just a little short for me. I like the second one a lot. I have yet to invest in either though as I own several Dragon Well dao - both spring and combat steel versions. Combat steel can be a little heavy for some, but I like that because it builds arm strength and confounds wushu people.

Hope you find what you're looking for fopah.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,
    Wasn't there an article about Dragon Well many moons ago? I don't even remember if it was good or bad...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Thanks Gene, You're the only one who was trying to be helpful. I think I'm going to go with the unsharpened combat steel dao. I would like to get the hanwei, But my wife would prefer this.
    Ron Paul '08

http://myspace.com/ronpaul2008

Hope for America!

That's a solid piece, fopah

If it turns out to be too blade heavy for you, the handle can be disassembled and you can add a few washers under the pommel. Be very careful about disassembling swords however. They are simple to unscrew, but as the actual handle part is wood, it's easy to crush it when re-tightening it. This often happens when an inexperienced person strips the sword and then can't reassemble it without it being loose. Don't keep tightening it in this case. You'll need to toss in some lockwashers and possibly square the edges of the handle.

I'd also cover the handle of that sword as it is just plain wood. You can get great materials for re-handling tennis rackets very cheaply at any sports store. It's perfect for sword handles.

P.S. I think Lokhopkuen was trying to be helpful.

Drake, thanks for the plug - that Dragon Well article was in our 2005 January/February The Sword Collector's Special: China's Most Precious Swords - The Legend of Dragon Well Forge By Jonathan Oh (with Gene Ching) There's also a nice piece on Hanwei in that issue: Chinese Pride - The Hanwei Forge of Paul Chen By Mike Song
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

P.S. I think Lokhopkuen was trying to be helpful.
    That hurts Gene. I thought I was being helpful.

Sorry Shaolin, didn't mean that to hurt...

...much

On second read, yes, you were trying to be helpful too. We just disagree about wushu dao for beginners and wooden dao. I only advocate wushu dao for those practicing the sport of wushu. If you're are traditional beginner, a wushu dao is of little use - you might as well just move right into normal dao. Of course, when I was a beginner, there was no such thing as a wushu dao, but there you have it. I also find wood dao to be very useful for two reasons. First, they're hecka cheap. Second, they're great to drill techniques like you would with boken. They don't get all macked up like if you were training with steel, and again, as they are hecka cheap, if they do break, you don't really care.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yes, even with the practice sword with dull edges

we have to use it and practice it with respect as if it is the "REAL" thing.

the weight is more of a consideration

be it da dao or guan dao

how much weight we may practice to wield, depending on our physique

and of course, the length has to be considered, too

---

I mean instead of focusing on how sharp your practice sword is

find out the right weight and right length for you to practice

are far more important

--