Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun sifu wins MMA championship?

Wing Chun sifu wins MMA championship?

There is this thread going on over at Bullshido

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97378

where Master Mazza claims to have won an MMA championship in Camden NJ in April.

http://www.traditionalwingchun.com/i...page&Itemid=30

The problem is no one can find any information on the tournament. If anyone here knows anything about this please feel free to go over to Bullshido and clear this up.

Thanks.

Mike t.

Phil could probably answer this for you. It might even have been Phil's event, although I don't remember him saying anything about it being a pro event.

I'd also be interested to know what his other pro fights have been, as well as who the other two pro fighters he fought that day were.

Phil?

"On April 28th, 2010 Master Mazza competed in the Extreme Kickboxing Championship held in Camden, New Jersey. The rules were a combination of kickboxing and MMA. Master Mazza won 2 consecutive bouts with the first ending in submission in the 2nd round. The second bout ended in 1 minute and 3 seconds in the first round with a knockout. Master Mazza feels he owes his championship career to the extensive training he received from his teacher, Grandmaster William Cheung. When asked about the fight Grandmaster responded quite confidently “I had no doubt in his ability. I have taught Keith the keys to fighting in the ring, watch the elbow and fight on the blind side.” Master Mazza has announced that this was his last professional fight, retiring undefeated. “I feel like I can finally close this chapter of my life.” Master Mazza’s focus continues to be working on projects with Grandmaster Cheung, training and educating students in the Art of Traditional Wing Chun."
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 06-16-2010 at 09:14 AM.

I meet Master Mazza with my father during May 28-29, NAFMA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS at Sheraton Hotel & Resorts, Atlantic City, NJ. He was my judge in my first Wing Chun competition. This was the first Wing Chun competition that I know where they have youth divisions. So my father took me there in NJ as we were heading towards RI for a special TKD Olympic training camp any way. I took first in Wing Chun Inter. Forms Division by doing Chum Kiu. Master Mazza was very friendly.

The Extreme Kickboxing Championship seems to have no web presence whatsoever outside of traditionalwingchum.com and this site. Unusual, since even the entry level shows in my area are up there on Google.

Not wanting to denigrate KM's achievement, but some context of the size of the show, names and records of opponents, etc. would add some credibility for the sceptics and naysayers (give it time, there will be ...)
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The Extreme Kickboxing Championship seems to have no web presence whatsoever outside of traditionalwingchum.com and this site. Unusual, since even the entry level shows in my area are up there on Google.

Not wanting to denigrate KM's achievement, but some context of the size of the show, names and records of opponents, etc. would add some credibility for the sceptics and naysayers (give it time, there will be ...)
    As far as credibility, it does seem a little suspect when grappling on the site is depicted like this...

http://www.traditionalwingchun.com/i...=52&Itemid=110

... and one of the matches was supposedly won by submission.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    As far as credibility, it does seem a little suspect when grappling on the site is depicted like this...

are you saying you find something wrong with those clips...

You might as well not bother with the bullshido thread as it has degenerated in silliness. Of course I have been a willing participant in said silliness.

If we come up with anything, pro or con, I will post it in the bullshido TMA - Kung Fu forum which is moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    are you saying you find something wrong with those clips...
    OMFG, why do people post sh1t like that? Is this where Victor picked up his catch wrestling skills?

You know we can't see the true value in this because we are just a bunch of BJJ-nuthuggers?

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    OMFG, why do people post sh1t like that? Is this where Victor picked up his catch wrestling skills?

You know we can't see the true value in this because we are just a bunch of BJJ-nuthuggers?

true it takes a special eye to see the value of those techniques....one sadly us BJJ grapplers don't have

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post

Oh the horror

I'm sure the submission happened just like that mount escape depicted.

First, push on your opponent's elbow, as the elbow is the center of gravity. Next, grab the ankle, as it will ALWAYS be exposed when you push on the elbow - usually in mid-air due to the force you put on the elbow. Next, scramble to your knees and punch your opponent in back of the head while they lay face down immobile with their hand between their legs, because every single live opponent anyone has ever rolled with automactically instinctively goes to the face-down-sprawled-on-stomach-with-hand-between-legs position when anyone ever attempts a mount escape.

I'm glad that sequence was shown twice in the gallery. There were some intricacies of it that I didn't quite pick up on in the first series of photos.

You bet, like this one:

Must have something to do with chi because he isn't even bridging.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I would like to know how you get from this position to this position without bridging, and just pulling the guy across your body with all his weight down upon you and your only using one hand.????

sequence of pics starting and going

TO THIS

either the guy in white is letting him do it or his BASE sucks really bad.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

And then when he really does hit the ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVLczpkVEI

My issue is clearly Cheung doesn't know jack-squat about fighting in the ground, and has absolutely no ground fighting skills. Those photos, his "judo chop" response to a single leg, and the crap he says on his video clips prove that beyond any doubt.

Yet, he TEACHES that nonsense to others. He presents it as this-is-what-you-do from the Grandmaster.

Well, he also teaches stand up, and he teaches this-is-what-you-do in stand up.

Why do people believe his stand up theories and techniques are any better than his ground crap?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    And then when he really does hit the ground:
    While I'll pass on getting into all the conclusions you're trying to draw here, the one thing that's interesting to me about that story is that I was reading up on another forum where this was being discussed. Sorry but I don't remember where right now.

There was one guy who was a student of Gokor's. He mentioned that EB used to come train with them for a period of time. Maybe 8 months or so. He quit after that. So that may be the source of EB having any ground fundamentals.

Why do people believe his stand up theories and techniques are any better than his ground crap?
    He has DVDs and youtube vids out like Robert Chu and Alan Orr, so he obviously must be legit.

This stuff is right up there with the best BJJ striking like that found in Royce's self defense book of a few years back.

IF I'm not mistaken the guy in white is the aforementioned Extreme Kickboxing grand champ. Keith Mazza.

the sceptics and naysayers (give it time, there will be ...)
    Guess I was right about that ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!