Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: body structure and hitting hard

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    This can't be described simply over the internet -- it is a SKILL you need to be shown.

While you don't move your feet (so remain stationary), your body, torso, legs, etc, all respond dynamically (move).
    Here is the thing, I understand that, but how do you equalize force without horizontal shifting ??
    Especially force applied above or at the line of the shoulders ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Well as I said this is different from what I know, but they appear to be applying a forward vectored structure to match the force...with force....and also using it as a kind of pre-sprawl in the event of attempted take-down... Do you have Alan's videos?
    Wrong.

The YJKYM uses the elasticity of the body (arch, knees, his, spine, etc.) to load the opponent's pressure like a rooted spring. When you receive pressure it actually feels like he is pressing you into the ground (not backward, for instance).

This then becomes a source of surprising power should he release it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here is the thing, I understand that, but how do you equalize force without horizontal shifting ??
    Especially force applied above or at the line of the shoulders ?
    You need to be SHOWN how to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Paul,

The body works along longtitudinal chains of muscles (which incidentally, is the basis of Chinese acupuncture and meridian system, so when Hendrik uses the 8 extra channels or Qi Heng Ba Mai as an explanation is not far off), and basically, through a lot of practice and kinesthetic feel, you will get that right linkage.

The structure test is to align the body vertically to make you into a human "wedge", just equalizing enough first then be able to ward off, redirect, guide, totter the opponent.

Some muscles are relaxed, others are contracted, others held with partial contracture. Muscles relaxed will give you more weight. Too much muscle contracture will make you a lever to be easily tossed. Relaxation and letting go can help a lot here.
    Hey Robert,
    So the 6 directional force vector, An jing and hua jin is covered on your DVD series?

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hey Robert,
    So the 6 directional force vector is covered on your DVD's?
    I don't recall if I did or not. After taping, I pretty much called it a day and went to get some lunch. Also, personally, I hate looking at myself on film.

Anyone else see the DVD and remember?

Paul,

The body works along longtitudinal chains of muscles (which incidentally, is the basis of Chinese acupuncture and meridian system, so when Hendrik uses the 8 extra channels or Qi Heng Ba Mai as an explanation is not far off), and basically, through a lot of practice and kinesthetic feel, you will get that right linkage.

Basically, you are looking for that positioned "wedge" or "sweet spot". For example, when shoveling snow or dirt, you have to "get just underneath the handle" to apply the leverage, and then the shoveling becomes easy. The structure test is to align the body vertically to make you into a human "wedge", just equalizing enough first then be able to ward off, redirect, guide, totter the opponent.

Some muscles are relaxed, others are contracted, others held with partial contracture. Muscles relaxed will give you more weight. Too much muscle contracture will make you a lever to be easily tossed. Relaxation and letting go can help a lot here.

The skill is in the practice and the kinesthetic feel. And of course, that requires a lot of time to develop skill.

I don't know how much that helped because really, kinesthetic feel is required. I tried my best here in this medium, Paul. I think you owe me a pretty girl poster.
    Actually,m you explained that really well and yes, here you go:

I don't recall if I did or not. After taping, I pretty much called it a day and went to get some lunch. Also, personally, I hate looking at myself on film.

Anyone else see the DVD and remember?
    Yep, they were there, though I don't think you mentioned them by name per se.

Blog Entries
    The YJKYM uses the elasticity of the body (arch, knees, his, spine, etc.) to load the opponent's pressure like a rooted spring. When you receive pressure it actually feels like he is pressing you into the ground (not backward, for instance).

I agree !00%, I Just refer to this as rooting when I teach my students, but I believe others like Hendrik use different terminoly such as 6 directional force vector to discribe this phenominon. What's your opinion on this T, Have you ever seen what Hendrik does in regards to this?

Actually,m you explained that really well and yes, here you go:
    Thanks Paul! You've made my day!

Although I do not know the look of her face, who cares?!

I agree !00%, I Just refer to this as rooting when I teach my students, but I believe others like Hendrik use different terminoly such as 6 directional force vector to discribe this phenominon. What's your opinion on this T, Have you ever seen what Hendrik does in regards to this?
    6 directional force vector is basically up/down, left/right and forwards/backwards. The key is to combine all of these giving you a vector force (or use variations). You can also say it is 3-D.

Any actions that make use of the strongest muscles in your body can be surprisingly powerful.

Wrong.

Well they appear to be moving their COG out in front, (more-so than most) over their toes... Elastic, ground spring loaded or not. Any force that equalizes another is directed opposite to that force..
    Last edited by YungChun; 06-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

6 directional force vector is basically up/down, left/right and forwards/backwards. The key is to combine all of these giving you a vector force (or use variations). You can also say it is 3-D.

Any actions that make use of the strongest muscles in your body can be surprisingly powerful.
    Hence the picture I posted

Hence the picture I posted
    And quite an exquisite COG that was.

I agree !00%, I Just refer to this as rooting when I teach my students, but I believe others like Hendrik use different terminoly such as 6 directional force vector to discribe this phenominon.

To put it in a loving kindness way,

No Hendrik doesnt use different terminology such as 6 directional force vectors to describe the phenomenon you mention.

Hendrik is being very specific and what you call rooting is not what Hendrik present.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    When I used to do wing chun I used to be rubbish at the "stance test" i.e having someone push you in the chest or on an extended punch whilst standing the stance.

My training partner was very good at this but when it came to punching his power was significantly weaker than mine(we are the same size)
    What was he doing wrong?

There is nothing wrong, it is just the different between one is better then other in producing an outward resultant force and the other one is better in produce a partial equilibrium.

Everything is clear under the six directional force vectors analysis.