View Poll Results: The Wing Chun Wooden Man training, useful or not?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 84.38%
  • Don't know (never trained on one)

3 9.38%
  • No

2 6.25%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Wing Chun Wooden Man training, useful or not?

To get this thread back on topic, as I think we've digressed a bit away from whether we feel the wooden man in useful or not!?

How was you 'first taught' to enter the wooden man??

Did you use legwork first? Tok sau in KYM? Tok sau and legwork?

I'm interested to hear from people who have experimented with ideas that sit outside of the conventional 108/116 form.

As a plum blossom student, I was taught how to enter with legwork first, then toksau chunkuen...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    To get this thread back on topic, as I think we've digressed a bit away from whether we feel the wooden man in useful or not!?

How was you 'first taught' to enter the wooden man??

Did you use legwork first? Tok sau in KYM? Tok sau and legwork?

I'm interested to hear from people who have experimented with ideas that sit outside of the conventional 108/116 form.

As a plum blossom student, I was taught how to enter with legwork first, then toksau chunkuen...
    We don't have Tok Sau. The first movment on the dummy is a punch using the upper arms as reference for the elbow. As for the footwork we "cut the way" as we would to an opponent.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    We don't have Tok Sau. The first movment on the dummy is a punch using the upper arms as reference for the elbow.
    Interesting. How exactly do you punch using the upper arms?? It sounds like you're punching two arms along one? Keeping the elbows tucked in and forwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    As for the footwork we "cut the way" as we would to an opponent.
    When I say 'legwork' I mean legwork and what is commonly termed 'kicking'! Not footwork/stepping work.

Our first legwork is the 'lifting leg' which is designed to stun (or break!) the front leg. An initial entry tech taking out the closest target prior to follow through...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Interesting. How exactly do you punch using the upper arms?? It sounds like you're punching two arms along one? Keeping the elbows tucked in and forwards?
    I mean the upper arms of the dummy. The arms on the dummy are set at a specific angle and the dummy should be set to the correct height for the individual so that when we engage the elbow makes contact and not the wrist. Of course the elbows are tucked in and forwards. This allows us to use the straight punch directly and also defend our own center. This is the whole reason behind the first section of SLT.

When I say 'legwork' I mean legwork and what is commonly termed 'kicking'! Not footwork/stepping work.

Our first legwork is the 'lifting leg' which is designed to stun (or break!) the front leg. An initial entry tech taking out the closest target prior to follow through...
    Only one kick our in VT. Its a kick from A to B.....no time in fighting to have "designed" kicks. This can only work when your partner coperates. When an aggresive opponent is attacking you kicking is a problem.

GH