Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    When is the last time you did a hundred push ups in one training session multiple times a week?
    Let's see. In tkd as a 15 year old was the first time this was expected of me, took me a couple of months to build up to it.

Then, in the worst school I was ever part of, from about seventeen years old to maybe twenty, 100 knuckle push ups was a requirement.

In fact, the only school I was ever part of that didn't expect this was a longfist class, because the teacher expected you to do your workout on your own time, you were there to learn the system. I was still doing this on my own. That was probably twenty years ago now.

When I was studying the system I do now, 100 push ups was under the minimum, while the numbers would get much higher on some days. His class is still this way.

Now, I generally do three minute rounds on the heavy bag, or, if not at home, three minute rounds shadow boxing, or, if a training partner is present, three minute rounds of either clinch work or pad work, with sets of 25 push ups in between on days I'm working upper body. I consider 100 a fine finishing point, and from there, if I have a throwing dummy or heavy bag present, I follow up on further breaks by squating and lifting the dummy or the bag ten times on breaks. I do 2.5 miles jogging five times a week, picking routes with big hills and using the hills to maintain consistent speed despite fatigue. Up until the last two weeks, I was also swimming 600-700 meters freestyle twice a week, which I hope to pick up again soon. A normal day of training, I'm doing twelve rounds, mostly due to time constraints, 18 is what I do if I have the time.

In my worst shape, probably about 5-6 years ago, I was doing a lot more than 100 push ups several times a week, while carrying probably 60 extra pounds. Once I changed my diet, it all got a bit easier.

From there I started using the pull-up bar. Currently, I range between 50 and seventy total chin-ups/pull-ups counting close grip. I'm hardly as strong as I will get at this, I just like to take it slow.

As far as abs, I have what I consider my minimum daily routine: 100 crunches, 100 reverse crunches, 100 waist twists, 100 of a particular side crunch. For anytime I have more time, I add to that 50-100 full situps, 50 bicycles(which, admittedly, is about my limit before they start tweaking old back injuries from work), power bombs, whatever.

On leg days, I do a lot of dropping moves that resemble squats. I do sets of 50-60 of each. In addition, when working rounds with a partner in clinch, we do 2-4 rounds of what we call dropsies, where with the minimum of setup each has to attempt a dropped stance move on the other, which tends to really get the legs.

I have worked a physical job most of my life. I'm used to being around guys who can do 100 push ups, who have to, because they might need to unload a truckload of 4x8 MDF at any time. As said already, 4 sets of 25 is not that much at all. Growing up, Joon Rhee and his 1000 push up thing were the typical goal for many tma schools.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    The funny part about all this is that I was talking to KC Elbows. I get it though. You guys do not think that 100 push ups is a lot...which is hard for me to believe since we are talking about nei gong and chi being guided with the mind. I bet if I said 200 push ups you guys would have said you could do it as well but that is not the point of my response. When is the last time YOU personally did 100 push ups in a training session. Go home and try it today and tell me how easy it is.
    I did 100 Wednesday after my run. I'll be doing the same tonight, though today's my off day for running. Sets of twenty-five, though Wednesday I did sets of thirty and did ten slow on the up side for the last set. As I said, 100 is, imo, sufficient for getting what the push up does, but not bragging rights.

Some days, I do a set of push ups and abs later in the day, not often, and it's not hard to reach 200 push ups this way.

As for neigong, my fighting set is a neigong set. While there's a lot going on detail wise on the outside and on the inside(internal to the body, not talking spirit or anything metaphysical), it goes best when I can do this without my head being involved, and this is a necessity for fighting in any system. When it gets applied in rounds with partners with increasing pressure, and when I can still keep my head from getting involved/influenced in all the details, and theres a lot of details, then I've accomplished a measurable feet that also improves my ability to do so in the neigong set.

Enough about the push-ups guys and neigong.
    Back to the thread , ok?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Enough about the push-ups guys and neigong.
    Back to the thread , ok?
    I was off the last couple days, so I was catching up on my responses.

We were talking about chin jabs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I was off the last couple days, so I was catching up on my responses.

We were talking about chin jabs, right?
    Nope, forms that look like you are trying to get rid of a sticky booger.

Nope, forms that look like you are trying to get rid of a sticky booger.
    Not being a mantis guy, or doing a system that focuses as much on that type of energy, do you recomend/have seen a good, understandable demo of it's(the bugger flipping energy's) use, say on some sort of target or whatever?

Not being a mantis guy, or doing a system that focuses as much on that type of energy, do you recomend/have seen a good, understandable demo of it's(the bugger flipping energy's) use, say on some sort of target or whatever?
    I'll be honest, I have never seen a demo of "inch power" or "scared power" or any of those jings on a bag, mitts and even less so in sparring, of all the videos of SPM, Bak Mei and such on the net.
    If you do a search on Sifu Cama on youtube, you can see for yourself.

I'll be honest, I have never seen a demo of "inch power" or "scared power" or any of those jings on a bag, mitts and even less so in sparring, of all the videos of SPM, Bak Mei and such on the net.
    If you do a search on Sifu Cama on youtube, you can see for yourself.
    Do you use those energies in your training?

Do you use those energies in your training?
    Yep and I do them on the bag, and on the dummy(s), It has been tricky to develop it though because making contact with something is a whole different ball game.
    Depth penetration is the key to striking jings and the reason why so many people can't translate them to sparring.
    I was taught how to do it by a Chen Taiji sifu and drilled it from day 1 on SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
    Its even hard to apply it in full contact sparring because of not only the gloves but because of the moving target.
    It took me a lot of sparring for me to get it, to be bale to drill max force in such a short distance BUT I did have a "genetic" benefit, I have short and stubby arms, 16" dia upperarm and I always fougth on the inside so I didn't have to change my style of fighting, just my deceleration of strikes.

Yep and I do them on the bag, and on the dummy(s), It has been tricky to develop it though because making contact with something is a whole different ball game.
    Depth penetration is the key to striking jings and the reason why so many people can't translate them to sparring.
    I was taught how to do it by a Chen Taiji sifu and drilled it from day 1 on SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
    Its even hard to apply it in full contact sparring because of not only the gloves but because of the moving target.
    It took me a lot of sparring for me to get it, to be bale to drill max force in such a short distance BUT I did have a "genetic" benefit, I have short and stubby arms, 16" dia upperarm and I always fougth on the inside so I didn't have to change my style of fighting, just my deceleration of strikes.
    So you could film a demo of it.

That's what I'm finding.

So you could film a demo of it.
    How did I know you were gonna say that?

I've been thinking about that.

How did I know you were gonna say that?

I've been thinking about that.
    Please, please, please do, I'm certain it would be helpful to myself and others like me. You know, all us guys toughened to pure mightiness by our hundred push up routines.

That's what I'm finding.
    Once you actually start hitting things and sparring with it, you find that out quickly and learn to adjust.
    I don't know how well it can be SEEN on video, but it can be felt that's for sure.

Please do, I'm certain it would be helpful to myself and others like me. You know, all us guys toughened to pure mightiness by our hundred push up routines.
    Bwwahh !!
    To be honest, I can't recall the last time I did 100 push-ups myself, other than when I showed my wife in January and then I did 40, 30 and 30.
    Normally I pump out 20 or 30 to warm up my arms and chest before I do my ST.