Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old School Kung Fu book

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    10igers,what should it be. "teet? tiet? tieh?" i have chinese friends that own a restaurant,they say dit da jow/only they pronounce it the right way,"deet".most are from hong kong,2 are chinese from vietnam and one is from singapore. when i say dit da jow,they know exactlty what i am talking about. funny everyone butchers our language ,but if we happen to not know the exact pronunciation,we get the flak, LOL.
    no, LOL. I've heard "Gwailos"* call it "dit," period. Not dit da jow. Many Chinese also often refer to it as jow, but never "dit." -well, nobody I know.

*when I say gwailos, I'm referring to non-Asians who are clueless...um, ok, more clueless than myself. More like those who make no attempt to learn about the Chinese culture, especially if they practice Gung-Fu. Also, tourists in Chinatown, who wear those little hats with the been-pigtail. Heck, I'm not even Chinese, and I find it revolting. That's like wearing a big nose and glasses in Williamsburg. (the fake ones..) or a foreskin in Kentucky...
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-06-2010 at 04:13 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Anyone get the book yet?

That landing page reminded me of internet "make money online" spam, although it wasn't as blatantly obnoxious.

Have you ever seen those pages? They're usually either selling you some bull**** to a) make money online, b) some Forex trading robot (none of them work, btw), c) selling you some BS fitness program, or d) teaching you to pick up women. They basically look like this:

HEY IDIOTS!!

Are you TIRED of being POOR and UGLY?

Are you TIRED of being LAUGHED AT by WOMEN?

Do you wish you could BECOME RICH, COOL, AND AWESOME?

What if I told you THE SECRETS TO MAKING TEH MONIES ONLINE!!!!

I used to be JUST LIKE YOU.

I was a STUPID FAT VIRGIN LOSER!!!

But then...

I discovered...

THE SECRETZZZZZZ

ANd now I make $2948 per DAY

AND **** SUPERMODELS

On my YACHT

THat I paid for in CASH.

How would you like to HAVE THIS?

THE POWER

TEH MONIEZZZ

TEH WIMMINZ?

JUST BUY MY SUPER SECRET PROGRAM AND START LIVING THE LIFE TODAY!!!

I'm not saying the book will be good or bad, I'm just saying it reminded me of a spammy internet marketing landing page. Especially beginning with the questions like that, and having the email list opt-in box.

However this guy at least gave a look at the table of contents which helps his credibility a bit.

I'm interested in the review regardless.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-10-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

who cares about the chinese spelling, i have been living in china over four years and my chinese sucks. looks like a cool book.

I just got the book yesterday.

Eric Hunstad is a licensed acupuncturist and kung fu teacher in Florida.

The book is softcover and contains over 180 pages within it.

The chapters are concise and to the point talking about how one should prepare, initiate and commence training the old school way.

It mentions many things but does not really get into teaching you to do them.

There is a lot of talk, and very little actual instruction. It is also very bare bones when it comes to photographs. There are some very interesting statements made by the author. It is obvious that he knows what he is talking about.

Maybe this is the reference book that a series of instructional DVDs will be based upon?

The layout is good.

It is almost a tease, as its gives you some information that is not readily found on old school training.

But actual instruction in said material is lacking.

I hope to see the next installment in his series to see where he will go from here.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    It mentions many things but does not really get into teaching you to do them.

There is a lot of talk, and very little actual instruction.
    That's how most of the products that I was talking about are, too. Big on hype, yet somehow you get a 200 page book (or eBook) that doesn't really say anything, but usually they're written in such a way that the person walks away in a pumped up mood thinking he's on the fast track to making tons of money (or whatever) even tho he hasn't really learned anything.

Sadly, that's the norm in (internet) marketing. And sadly, that tends to be the most successful.

An example of the opposite would be something like Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline (a weightlifting book so a lot of people here might not be interested in it). It had a bit of hype that it would make you very strong, but literally 90% of the book is specific, quantifiable instruction. Do X. Now do Y. In circumstance, ABC, do Z instead. Facts and numbers and percentages and instruction. Scientific explanation behind it: Here is why this works the way it does.

But in most cases, especially when you have a spammy landing page like that guy, the end product almost never comes close to containing useful, quantifiable, or practical instruction.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-10-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    I'm with Iron Fist on this one.

And yet I'm also a book nut; I keep even the cheesy or crappy volumes. Why? My own lil addiction I guess. So even though the review doesn't seem that great, i still might get it....might

:P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

its not that bad.

I said the author knows what he is talking about and presents his material well.

I just said the book itself was not as instructional as others, and light on photographs.

I thought my money well spent.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    "money well spent" ?
    Then I may very well check it out
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    its not that bad.

I said the author knows what he is talking about and presents his material well.

I just said the book itself was not as instructional as others, and light on photographs.

I thought my money well spent.
    im not a huge fan of instructional books myself anyway. i would prefer the books to contain history, specific details, personal experience, philosophy, cultural reference, etc.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    two things-
    one, I wasn't referring to the spelling-but the misuse of the word.
    two-yeah, I'm a bookaholic too. I have hundreds of books, some rare and out of print, some all in Chinese, some crappy, I even have the Bruce Tegner books.
    So..yeah, I will most likely buy this book as well.
    I did make the mistake of throwing out a book. It was pretty crappy, but it turns out that my teacher might actually know the form that was in the book.
    George Parulski's book on Kung-Fu. Now I can't show him the book and ask him if it's the same form.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

my bro. jeff and i have a book very similar to this coming out in oct. it made me nervous when i heard about this one, i thought we had been beaten to the punch, but since everyone says it is not that great and is not detailed,i am releived. our book will be detailed on many different training exercises from many different styles, such as tiger,dragon,drunken,monkey,snake,sambo and a few others. it will give the actual training and how to perform the exercises exactly, to get the best results. just like in the iron palm dvd,we hold nothing back, no teaser to nickel and dime you to death getting you to buy more editions. we do all in one books and dvds.
    we are fortunate that dr, ng had expoosure to many different styles and we have the training methods to them all.

I got my copy and from what I've been reading the author is knowledgeable. I'll post a review after I get through it entirely.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

And now my thoughts...

The book was interesting enough and I do agree with Dale on a couple of points:
    1. The author is knowledgeable
    2. The Chapters are concise.

I found this book to be a great book that covers kung fu in general. It definately avoids any specific style or instruction therein. I thought his "Diamond Cutting" Method covered all the aspects of how to train forms. Although he doesn't get specific enough for some people, how hard is it to understand: "train your forms slow?" (for example).

I think this book is good for getting students a broad understanding of some aspects of kung fu training. I can appreciate the author bringing in his acupunture expertise and incorporating traditional Chinese Medicine and kung fu training.

I have recommended this book to my students as a started to get their feet wet in kung fu.

However, If you are looking for a style specifics or a book that contains a plethora of drills and what not.. then this is not for you.

Overall it is a nice addition to my kung fu library.

Teetsao: From what you write, I think your book will be different and excellent in its own right. If you get this one I think you will be pleasantly suprised. When is your book coming out?
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

hopefully by the end of oct.
    tell you what joe mantis,we have to give away a copy to get a reveiw on it anyway,especially for this forum venue.people seem to trust your opinion,so you just earned yourself an advanced copy before it comes out to reveiw for the forum. i will be in contact, and closer to oct. you can get me your mailing address.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    no, LOL. I've heard "Gwailos"* call it "dit," period.
    LOL - that would be like shortening the term "bruise linament" to "bruise";

"yo bro, gimmie sum o dat 'bruise' you got."

Sai yahn mo lum-a...