Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couture vs. Toney

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I was speaking in general, but thanks for making that clear.

In case you all couldn't tell, that was sarcasam :P

IBA sucks balls.
    yeah its a nothing title forsure... boxing really needs to start unifying all these titles... i mean, how many heavyweight "champions" do we need... i guess between the klitschko bros all the belts that matter are with them... they should fight eachother would be interesting... unfortunately they have been very vocal about the fact that they will never fight eachother... which is bull**** because the titles really should be unified... i wanna see one get beat up and lose all the belts so the other can avenge the loss for his bro and bring the titles back together where they belong...

between the two they have IBF, WBO, IBO, Ring Magazine heavyweight title(Wladimir) and WBC heavyweight title(Vitali). i think thats all of them... i could be wrong but im pretty sure im right

too bad jack johnson isnt alive and in his prime today... would be interesting... that cat was an absolute monster... the white establishment hated that guy walking around with his two whitegirl "wives" in tow... that made so many people so mad... i love it... yall should check out a documentary called "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson"... its a great flick and its more about social issues of the time than it is about boxing... really good vid tho... check it out... if you cant find it i can upload it for yall if anyone has a place i can do that... its a gig or three im sure...
    Last edited by Syn7; 08-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    yall should check out a documentary called "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson"... its a great flick and its more about social issues of the time than it is about boxing... really good vid tho... check it out... if you cant find it i can upload it for yall if anyone has a place i can do that... its a gig or three im sure...
    yeah i watched that... was a great doc. His life was a roller coaster to say the least... didn't he die in a car wreak later in life? they tried and tried to find someone to beat him for the longest time. Hell he didn't loss till later in life to a young guy. Great thing about his style was that it was a first, first to use the elusive type of fighting to lure in people. Till that point most boxing was toe to toe match ups.
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 08-30-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

question still unanswered

James Toney was a big disapponitment to be such a great fighter otherwise. In the prefight interviews he had total disrespect for MMA, and as a consequence was completely unprepared.He should have studied Randy's fights and prepared a game plan that included sprawls, inside uppercuts, knees to the face in the low clinch, etc.... I love boxing but man have a game plan! At least he got some of Dana White's money out of the deal for a 3 minute or less work out!
    phoenixdog

Hey but no, James Toney can take one hell of a beating! No one can take that away from him, lol.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

with 8 months to learn mma and ZERO previous grappling experience... going against a greco olympian and hall of fame mma fighter... he didnt stand anything more than a punchers chance... and not even the same degree of punchers chance that big hitters in mma have... he isnt even a great boxer anymore... you can only ride on your laurels for so long, eventually you have to rest on them... he needs to go for a 300 mile run every morning untill he's actually healthy then enjoy his money in old age and leave mma to the pros... boxing too, for that matter... and what does it say for boxing when a guy as far past it as he is can be a champion... a minor belt maybe, but a title none the less... he was once such a great boxer that he isnt so bad as an old vet whos past it... but he's just killing his legacy... you dont have to retire at your peak... but you should retire when you know you'll never be as good as you were when you were once the best... why mess that up??? rant...........

i had similar feelings about couture a few years ago... but i think ive changed my mind about that... he may not be able to be champ again, but he seems to be pretty game... a good learning experience for the young guys... get beat up by randy, make you better than you were before the a s s kicking but once he becomes just another rung in the ladder, he needs to step back for good... aslong as he's winning, i love to watch him fight... two or three more losses and thats it tho...
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-06-2010 at 08:24 PM.