Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA - Fadtastic

MMA - Fadtastic

It cracks me up to read so many posts here by peeps that seem to think that MMA will outlive TCMA. Peeps, its a fad. TCMA has endured communist repression, the kick boxing fad, the ninja fad and it will out last the MMA fad.

I am not against MMA by any means. It is a great sport. It has renewed the masses interest in martial arts. But it isn't the be all end all that some peeps think it is. It too shall go out of vogue. And when it does TCMA will put it to bed, turn out the light and go do what time tested arts do, continue to train.

Rant off.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    MMA - Fadtastic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It cracks me up to read so many posts here by peeps that seem to think that MMA will outlive TCMA. Peeps, its a fad. TCMA has endured communist repression, the kick boxing fad, the ninja fad and it will out last the MMA fad.

I am not against MMA by any means. It is a great sport. It has renewed the masses interest in martial arts. But it isn't the be all end all that some peeps think it is. It too shall go out of vogue. And when it does TCMA will put it to bed, turn out the light and go do what time tested arts do, continue to train.

Rant off.
    haha want to watch the fire works or something?

Anyways, i'll disagree with you, I believe its the next evolution of TMA's. TCMA etc. I think people have gotten smarter in there search for MA's in the last years. They now see that to get complete MA's you need to learn the whole spectrum.
    I'm not going to say that my first love wasn't TCMA but things change and the landscape of the TCMA/TMA has changed as well and is being absorbed.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

It is a slightly less scripted derivative of Professional Wrestling.

It can be entertaining but it usually just ends up with two guys laying on the ground hugging each other.

Really though, right now what else is there? Boxing is basically dead unless it can get its **** together and unify everything, which will never happen. The super six is an interesting idea, but even so, the cross organization promotional politics just eff everything the hell up.

As for the current state of Chinese martial arts; if it isn't wushu doing figure skating routines on the ground in silk pajamas, it is pretty much a bunch of pimply faced LARPers waving their arms around.

In conclusion; it all sucks, watch football instead.
    Last edited by wenshu; 09-27-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    It is a slightly less scripted derivative of Professional Wrestling.

It can be entertaining but it usually just ends up with two guys laying on the ground hugging each other.

Really though, right now what else is there? Boxing is basically dead unless it can get its **** together and unify everything, which will never happen. The super six is an interesting idea, but even so, the cross organization promotional politics just eff everything the hell up.

As for the current state of Chinese martial arts; if it isn't wushu doing figure skating routines on the ground in silk pajamas, it is pretty much a bunch of pimply faced LARPers waving their arms around.

In conclusion; it all sucks, watch football instead.
    You sir speaketh the TRUTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    haha want to watch the fire works or something?
    Yep, couldn't wait to see peeps panties getting tied in knots!

Seriously though, what evolution? Now peeps think it is wise to go to the ground in a street defense situation? Most schools I know of have trained to fight grapplers WITHOUT going to the ground. Why fight their fight? Yes, you should understand HOW they fight, but it doesn't mean you need to do it.

Realize that I trained in jujutsu decades before it was cool, way before it was a fad. It has its strengths, but it has its weaknesses too. TCMA ppeps should learn to exploit the weaknesses rather than changing their fighting style to accommodate the fad.

BTW, I posted this originally in the Kung Fu forum because that was the audience I was addressing. Whoever moved it here now makes it look like I was trying to start a flame war, which I wasn't.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-27-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

MMA has been popular since the early 90's and has been a testing ground since the 70's.
    Just looking at its modern competitive format, it's been around for a good 12 years and is part of mainstream TV and sports for a good, oh, 8 years at least, if not more.
    Can it still be called a Fad ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

but theres been a huge surge in popularity in the sport as of late that i feel will wane real quickly unfortunately

id definetly say mma has a shelf life. it will still be around years from now but it wont be very popular

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Considering most CMAists look like this

you should pray it's not a fad.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It cracks me up how many people fear change to such a degree that they deny the truth glaring in their faces...TCMA is almost as bad as religion...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    It cracks me up how many people fear change to such a degree that they deny the truth glaring in their faces...TCMA is almost as bad as religion...
    Hey, there's no need to insult religion.

but you cant say cma will out last it since cma is already dead

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hey, there's no need to insult religion.
    The pope did acknowledge evolution. I suppose there is some hope

He probably did it because someone had nude pictures of him going down on Bea Arthur.

He also said he wanted to baptize aliens.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Considering most CMAists look like this

you should pray it's not a fad.

Leave my mom out of this!