Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stick Forms Training

Stick Forms Training

Hi everyone!

I have recently come to the point in my life where I need to have sticks for self defense.

I have searched online and found several excellent stick form training videos and plan to use this thread to post all of them.

I need some help with one of them:

EXCELLENT single stick techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C71c0_93T4

I was hoping someone could provide the translation for this video. I think I get the gist of everything he is saying but I am sure I am mising some valuable information...
    Here are other videos I found, all of them are excellent:

Good all-around defense tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2emmV6mvrU

Non-lethal knife defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgaQ07D09Y

How to twirl a baton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WN_0tNKOzU

EXCELLENT stick forms (part one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSDdtLv3u4

EXCELLENT stick forms (part two): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKPTMxo2QE

AWESOME single stick free-flow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gtkFIf1f8

AWESOME empty hand technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9qrvkD1yfU&NR=1

I would like to find some information on stick vs. gun techniques.

I am aware that such a thing is not recommended, but I will be unable to carry a firearm and if I do meet one, I would like to at least have an option.

My philosophy is that if somebody pulls a gun, they are going to kill me (therefore meek compliance will not work).

I have been unable to find any instructive information on this online, although I know the techniques exist.

Can anyone provide any links towards this end?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-02-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Content and formatting

I have recently come to the point in my life where I need to have sticks for self defense.
    Really? why?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

yeah, why?

what kinda stickfighting are you learning???

Well, I'm going on vacation to another country. In this country, people from America have sort of like a "bullseye" as a target for robbery (or worse).

Having a couple of expandable batons on my hip should cover just about anything I might encounter.

I am just going to learn the classical forms in the videos I've found to give myself the "vocabulary" for stick defense.

Having studied Tai Chi, I am able to bring out "the tiger within" and should be just fine with the sticks.

Uh... umm.... err.... what?

So... you're going to another country where you'll be in constant danger, but the combination of an openly displayed collapsable baton, some Tai Chi instruction and some self-taught stick fighting skills acquired from video tapes available to the public on the Internet will see you safely through any situation. Is that about it?

- CS

theres this guy on here who knows the anus punch.... you may want to learn that as well.....

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

expandable batons, eh?

Expandable batons are called Keibo.

Black Manual Tokushu Keibo w/case
    Auto Tokushu Keibo with Case

Note that Keibo are illegal in some states such as California, Massachusetts and New York. I'm not sure about their legality in other countries. I know they are illegal in Canada. Better check the local laws before packing them.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Expandable batons are called Keibo.

Black Manual Tokushu Keibo w/case
    Auto Tokushu Keibo with Case

Note that Keibo are illegal in some states such as California, Massachusetts and New York. I'm not sure about their legality in other countries. I know they are illegal in Canada. Better check the local laws before packing them.
    you can get them here in vancouver no problem... i have mine, and ive never had a problem... granted its not hanging off my belt... but if a cop searched my bag, i doubt he'd take it...

get a couple of those colapsable jian!!!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Really? That's interesting, Syn7

It could be a border issue. We have a lot of trouble shipping weapons to Canada. We've had shipments of staffs get stopped at customs, which is really silly when you stop and think about it. We could probably ship baseball bats to Canada, but staffs?

FWIW, I can get all the martial arts martial arts weapons that are banned in California in S.F. Chinatown.

Lucas - Extendable Tai Chi Sword - why didn't I think of that? That would be so much more appropriate for a taiji player!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A better idea would be to VACATION somewhere else.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    A better idea would be to VACATION somewhere else.
    what ever, stop being realistic, this is the internet. i vacation in world war 3!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It could be a border issue. We have a lot of trouble shipping weapons to Canada. We've had shipments of staffs get stopped at customs, which is really silly when you stop and think about it. We could probably ship baseball bats to Canada, but staffs?

FWIW, I can get all the martial arts martial arts weapons that are banned in California in S.F. Chinatown.

Lucas - Extendable Tai Chi Sword - why didn't I think of that? That would be so much more appropriate for a taiji player!
    at the MA stores they have all the swords, waxwood staffs three section staffs etc etc... kama, sighs all of that...

no butterfly knives tho, they arent even allowed to exist this side of the 49th... for whatever reason i dont know... no switchblades either...

man i wish you could still pick up a good sturdy steel spring bloody mary....

i lost mine years ago, that i got from a really old guy.

i dont know if thats what they are called but they are just like a switch blade, except rather than the blade being sprung out from the side, it comes out straight vertically via spring and locks the blade into place.

anyone else ever had one of those kind of switch blades? maybe it was foreign, all of the american switches ive seen are side folding spring loaded blades.

I've always called those 'bloody marys' too.

I have a tiny tourist one from China that commemorates the 2008 Olympics. I got it back to the U.S. tucked discreetly in my luggage, just before 9/11. It's tiny and didn't really work that well. I used it to open mail here for years, until it finally broke for good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips