Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Like the subtitle says, "Choreographed but entertaining."

Like the "amazing" Mook Jong demo in the other thread, looks speedy and impressive to the uninitiated, but has a negative correlation to actual fighting ability.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Yo!

This is great fun. I love it except for all the hand play. Not a WCK trait in my opinion. But a lot of fun to watch. Kind of like a Jackie fight scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Like the subtitle says, "Choreographed but entertaining."

Like the "amazing" Mook Jong demo in the other thread, looks speedy and impressive to the uninitiated, but has a negative correlation to actual fighting ability.
    Dale you dont know what your talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Dale you dont know what your talking about...
    Says the theoretical nonfighter to the fighter.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    says "Choreographed" so any attempts to justify actual fighting with this is null and void.

She has fast hands, but i've seen many a boxer with lighting in their fist as well.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I don't understand what there is to discuss. I agree with Dale that this has nothing to do with fighting any more than tap dancing does. It was just more compliant BS posing as fighting skill. I believe the correct term is snake oil.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    I don't understand what there is to discuss. I agree with Dale that this has nothing to do with fighting any more than tap dancing does. It was just more compliant BS posing as fighting skill. I believe the correct term is snake oil.
    Serious question: why do you think that YOU can look at that and see it is complete nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Serious question: why do you think that YOU can look at that and see it is complete nonsense?
    Because he knows what it takes to do fully resistant training and what it has to look like to generate the power it takes to be effective.

Unlike the theoretical, non-fighting, fantasy, people like gledhill who wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the @ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Because he knows what it takes to do fully resistant training and what it has to look like to generate the power it takes to be effective.

Unlike the theoretical, non-fighting, fantasy, people like gledhill who wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the @ss.
    Thank you Dale, that was a much better answer that I was thinking of.

What stuck in my mind was this "Choreographed". I don't see how this is any different than the "wire fu" seen in a lot of CMA movies. Unless, T., you consider that to be worthwhile skillz.

Now that I have noticed the YOU in t.s question I'm going to answer in a little more detail. As a kid and young adult I used to enjoy watching pro wrestling. As I got older I just became ambivalent about it. Since I started training BJJ I can't stand watching it. It isn't because it isn't real, I new that a long time ago, but because of how sh1tty the grappling was, it wasn't even close to being realistic. Cartoonish would be the best description.

I got the same feeling about that vid. The poor movement, bad balance the slightest touch behind her partner's head and he went flying. It wasn't that it was choreographed, it was because it was badly choreographed.
    Last edited by m1k3; 10-13-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Expand upon my answer.
    Mike

you can always look fast when theres no power in the shot, your partner is being compliant and you are simplt demoing a set of moves

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Thank you Dale, that was a much better answer that I was thinking of.

What stuck in my mind was this "Choreographed". I don't see how this is any different than the "wire fu" seen in a lot of CMA movies. Unless, T., you consider that to be worthwhile skillz.
    No, I consider it complete nonsense. Yet, what I find interesting is that there will be people that don't seem to see it. And, also don't see how much of TMA "training" is really counter-productive and simply training to fail.

What I find disturbing is that many of these people refuse to see it. I don't know if it is the brainwashing that goes along with TMA "training"or what.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    Her chin is up, enough said.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Just a preplaned demo with non resitant opponent.....

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    No, I consider it complete nonsense. Yet, what I find interesting is that there will be people that don't seem to see it. And, also don't see how much of TMA "training" is really counter-productive and simply training to fail.

What I find disturbing is that many of these people refuse to see it. I don't know if it is the brainwashing that goes along with TMA "training"or what.
    Same reason I used to think pro wrestling was real when I was a 10. Same reason I thought knowing karate made you invincible when I was 12.

Lack of actually doing things for real with skilled people.