Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: why is wing chun kuen wing chun kuen?

If Yik Kam Siu Lein Tao contained more Wing Chun and less O-mei and White Crane, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Then again, Yik Kam never called his system Wing Chun so I guess it's a moot point to discuss it as such.
    o-mei is another style of tcma which got nothing to do with wing chun. wong wah bo wing chun existed long before thiis so-called yik kam little drilling.

Swallow, spit, lift, these are general southern CMA terms, but they don't have anything to do with WC. Does WC do things that could be described in these terms? Absolutely, but they are foreign to our WC vocabulary.
    i agree with you 100%. most wing chun lineages used loi luo hui sung instead of these terms "Swallow, spit, lift" except a few from chi sim weng chun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hi Hendrik,

I am familar with the White Crane's Snap, and squat weight lifting type of bounce power generation but not the Emei's snake continuous slide. I did a search, but wasn't able to find anything that specificly discribe how the Emei's snake continuous slide power generation is used in WCK.

Is the Emei's snake continuous slide the sticking/adhering energy in WCK similar to tai chi's reeling silk? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Just go baisi with a legitimate old timer WCner and you learn all of the above within WCK instead of getting side track.

Is tai chi reeling silk ? Get a Taiji guy to do WCK's woodern dummy and see for yourself is it the same type of power signature? ..

Snake is flowing continuously, IE: your huen sau cycling in SLT. or when the hand smoothly turn into a lap sau while tracking the opponent's arm.....

That is because the arm movement automatically default into a smooth continuous flowing action.

So, in this perspective, SLT's design belongs to the internal or "TaiJi " class of mechanics..
    Hendrik, This is exactly what I was asking you to confirm above, not brain surgery or rocket science my friend

See that wasn't so hard lol no need to go baisi to anyone for a simple discription of the terminology that you are using
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 10-14-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RB93SAAT View Post
    yik kam himself never called his art wing chun during wong wah bo time.
    A friend of mine met up with some of the elders from yik kam's 4 section SLT linage in china, while doing some research for me. They don't call their system wing chun, they call it weng chun. This system is taught in two villages Yahu and Nga Woo.

A friend of mine met up with some of the elders from yik kam's 4 section SLT linage in china, while doing some research for me. They don't call their system wing chun, they call it weng chun. This system is taught in two villages Yahu and Nga Woo.
    Good to know, thanks for the info KFF

Wait a second here... I've been absent from this thread for awhile, but I want to make a quick clarification.

In HFY we do employ Tun/Tou swallow/spit concepts. If fact it is in the advanced layers of our Bai Jong Baat Bo Gin form. Tun Kiu is the actual technique that follows our Wat Dai Wan Yun engagement technique.

http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread....hlight=ton+kiu

I think Eric, is speaking strictly from his Yip Man Moy Yat background here. But I will say, he's right about it seen more often in Weng Chun systems rather than Wing Chun systems

As in the previous YMWC I trained didn't have the swallow/spit concept either.

people are always amazed yik kam never called his omie chi gung as wing chun and set it straight yik kam little drilling should be called little drilling. Unlike some nut called his omei little drilling as wing chun. Unfortunately, embracing new ideas (omei and sam chien) and being on look out for new way to relate to wing chun people grinds to a halt in many ma communities.

Next we will to go visit the Uniqueness in WCK's application strategy.

See how the snake and crane or the WCK Slide, Snap, bounce power generation support the application strategy.

and how WCK doesnt go for Center Line similar to other Southern TCMA and;
    where is this "capturing Center line but not brute force" strategy is from?

We know, Center line concept is White Crane of Fujian's uniqueness.

Let's take a look at Sifu Gary Lam's the WCk old timer clip and see if he goes brute force to do face on center line attack.. or he slide and passed....elegantly handle the incoming force ?
    (PS. sifu Gary, thanks and appreciate for your sharing in youtube.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u63OJRXyq68

see if he trying to capture or attack center line in a brute force and face on like some other Namkuen ? or he slide passed....elegantly without fighting force against force?

it just happen that what Sifu Gary does also exist in the Emei 12 Zhuang's application strategy kuit as the following.

勿当冲马劲, Never stop the rushing horse incoming power.
    横锁刁牛蹩, Sideway lock the bull's feet.
    封闭借来法, Seal off and close the opponent down borrowing the method of incoming attack.

So again, IMHO,

when one fuse the White Crane's Center line concept with the Emei's strategy , one sees that type of signature in the WCK applications. in fact, that is Comes accept goes return....etc.

Check it out for yourself on if you could see the same kind of uniqueness in other Southern TCMA?

You dont have to believe me, check it out for yourself, take a look at how Hung gar does, White Crane san chin attack to the center line does.....etc. See for yourself if that WCK uniqueness is in fact WCK's signature.

If you want to see more on this type of WCK uniqueness, Get sifu Robert Chu's DVD, there you will see it and also the snap, slide, and bounce. Sifu Robert Chu might uses a different terminology but those are there. WCK uniqueness is also across aboard signature. eventhought different WCK sifu has different variation but the signature is always there. Check it out.
    Great clip by Gary Lam you posted, from there one can see how he borrows the incoming method of attack to seal his student off before attacking, controlling before striking

If you want to see more on this type of WCK uniqueness, Get sifu Robert Chu's DVD, there you will see it and also the snap, slide, and bounce. Sifu Robert Chu might uses a different terminology but those are there. WCK uniqueness is also across aboard signature. eventhought different WCK sifu has different variation but the signature is always there. Check it out.
    Hendrik, what is the "bounce" that you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Great clip by Gary Lam you posted, from there one can see how he borrows the incoming method of attack to seal his student off before attacking, controlling before striking
    Ya, the signature is there and we can trace to the Emei Kuen kuit... all the old timer WCner has the signature.

Thus, it is not the so called Southern Shao lin art as some think.

Hendrik, what is the "bounce" that you are referring to?
    Here are some "bounce"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXlQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQS5oOYMVY

Again, different old timer has their own different " flavor" but it is there.

Bounce is a full body power generation in contrast with Snap which is often localized. you need both type of power.

You could find more in Sifu Robert Chu's DVD under hammer and nail...etc.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-13-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bounce is a full body power generation in contrast with Snap which is often localized. you need both type of power.
    When I do Snap, my whole body is connected as a unit, it's not just localized.

Here is a clear explanation of bounce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJQrbD7jL8

Here is are some great training methods to develop the snake slide power generation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjs-roWT1zw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJteu...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxmOeq3G9Y
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 10-13-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Here are some "bounce"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXlQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQS5oOYMVY

Again, different old timer has their own different " flavor" but it is there.

You could find more in Sifu Robert Chu's DVD under hammer and nail...etc.
    Got it! This is actually a very interesting area on the subject because if one were to ask, what is WCK? what makes it different from karate or anything else? i've been stumped on that one before and never really got a good answer from anybody else. getting a few kuits or general ideas in response i.e. centerline doesn't get down to the a,b,c of it. My thinking then was if you can't identify what it is or should be, how do you know you're doing it anymore? just that for one's own sake, one should be able to identify WCK or any style by its training, power generation, and application approach since one leads to another. what i'm most curious about now is, how does one's SLT train the power generation if this power signature is also a uniqueness of WCK? power is power in the end, a force vector but how is it issued. if seems logical to me that different training produces different power issuing mechanics/methods. but before even getting to generating power, what about being able to? as in, do we have the right foundation to do so.

When I do Snap, my whole body is connected as a unit, it's not just localized.
    That is because you still dont know what I am refer to but thinking you know.

Here is a clear explanation of bounce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJQrbD7jL8
    Great Thanks!

Alan did an excellent job.

Here is are some great training methods to develop the snake slide power generation
    You need to go baisi because you still dont know what snake sliding power generation means.

For example, look at the body distance of your clips
    how is that compare with Sifu Gary or Alan's clip above in term of body distance?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Could you please make sure your information is proper before you post something?

For example, Yahu and Nga Woo is not two villages. Nga Woo is Yahu in Cantonese.

Also, you need to name the name of those so called elders ,who call their art Weng Chun so we know and can trace who they are, instead of a he says She says ...
    Last edited by Hendrik; 10-14-2010 at 03:16 AM.

what i'm most curious about now is, how does one's SLT train the power generation if this power signature is also a uniqueness of WCK?

power is power in the end, a force vector but how is it issued.

if seems logical to me that different training produces different power issuing mechanics/methods.

but before even getting to generating power, what about being able to? as in, do we have the right foundation to do so.

You are right.

That is where one needs to go Baisi to learn from an Old timer WCner sifu who has the transmission.

That is because it involve lots of details and in general not "imaginable" and one spend lots of time to cultivate power generation. One simply need a coach, that is cultivate Kung Fu.