Thread: SoCal Kung Fu: Sifu Cunningham or Sifu Wright?

SoCal Kung Fu: Sifu Cunningham or Sifu Wright?

I have a Kung Fu School question I need to throw out there.
    I just moved to Redondo Beach and have two Kung Fu Schools near by: South Bay Kung Fu Club - Sifu Richard Cunningham - Style: Hung Ga and Wrights Kung Fu - Sifu Derrick Wright - Style: 7 Star Praying Mantis.
    I cant make a fully educated decision just based on just what I see and from reading their bio's and as I cant find any comments, reviews, stories etc. about these two, I am hoping some of you will be able to share some additional insight as to what you know about these two schools and their reputations - Thanks

If you can make the drive, the best teacher for Hung Kuen here in socal is Donald Hamby.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

take the free class from each and go with whatever you like more. someone could argue 1 is better then the other, but if you don't like it, whats the point? do what you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Hi I have met Sifu Wright and thought he was very good and also a gentleman. He has good lineage.

As said, the best thing is to go and watch a class or take a class and decide. Its really about how much you want to pay, what sort of kung fu you want and if you like the teacher and students you will spend a lot of time with.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

If you really want to learn form a old school teacher, my old sensei Les Heri teaches Okinwan Go Ju ryu 3 blocks form the beach, Tiger dojo.
    I know its karate but he is incredible, his skill level is unmatched and a awesome teacher adn all around great guy, you will get your monies worht but I want to let you know he is from the school of hard knocks you will usually walk with a bruise, bloody or at least a limp after class LOL not right awsy but shortly there after hope this helps
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

First, thank you all for giving me your time and thoughts.
    Yes, I will definitely take intro classes with both to see how they are run to determine which appeals to me the most from that standpoint. I was also trying to determine where they both stand on the Kung Fu World Stage. I have looked at Donald Hamby but he is out of my reach from a distance standpoint (have a family/kid and need to keep "my" time local to RB, HB & MB). I will also look up Sensei Les Heri, he was studying at the Tiger Dojo Institute in NYC in the 70's/80's the same time i was studying Judo under Sensei Nobuyoshi Higashi at the Kokushi Budo Institute NYC as a kid. Also, as many of you know, being in RB/HB & MB I am surrounded with a huge variety of BJJ schools that cant be overlooked. Yet, I travel to China every 6-12 months for work, so i thought I would embrace Kung Fu to make the experience parallel & complete. Thus my question regarding their and their schools reputation. If anyone has further insight, greatly appreciate all the input i can get.