Thread: Who makes good wooden dummies?

Question Who makes good wooden dummies?

Who makes good wooden dummies?
    Watch this

I do The one I made rules. Unfortunately, it took me WAY to long to want to do it again.

No seriously though, I got my arms and leg from Asheville Woodcrafters at www.wooddummy.com and they are cool. The leg is a bit shorter than the styles that some companies use, however, but it's all good.

Dude, I made a post ALL about various dummy manufacturers. Look for it and bump it back up to the top. I gave names, reviews, and web links to their sites. It's got all of the info you could ever need.

Iron
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Probably Great Lion by the look of things on the web.My avice is to be cautious of the Leung Ting ironwood/rosewood models from China,lacking in detail in my not so humble opinion,even though the price is OK.

Ask Yuan Fen (?) to post his buddies in Arizona's site again.They look nice and detailed.I prefer the JKD models from Great Lion.The cross slats are closer together and also provide for neck pulls.They also have a higher leg (steel) but have WC leg option at the same time.The portable stand model works well,as does their corner mount stand.If money is a problem,go with the PVC model.It's a tough high grade rather than regular sewer pipe.

The model Randy Williams endorses in the Kung Fu mags looks decent enough,although I'm not sure that I like the look of the stand over Great Lion.It also doesn[t look like you can set it high enough,and I know Randy likes his jong fairly low.Plus,I make musical instruments for a living,and don't trust people who paint over supposed hardwoods like Randy's is.Leads me to beleive that it might be a laminated body,and inferior hardwood also.Oak,maple and hickory are the standards in N.America,Ironwood and Teak are Asian standard.

Another sketchy model you see in mags often are the ones endorsed by Richard Bustillo.The prices are competetive,but they look crude in the photos.You have been warned!

I;ve pretty well seen most authentic makers on the net and my vote would be Great Lion and Yuan Fen's buddies.Otherwise,wait a few years until I get a lathe and some shop space to give the big boys a run for the money!

Why don't you go the nearest "Internal KF club" and ask if someone wants to train Iron Shirt, Iron Crotch etc. with you. They can then stand "erected" and you fire away at the 108 movements wooden dummy form. Both parties will benefit from this experiense...

/sorry, couldn't resist...

Dave Lidell, my student makes superb custom made hardwood wooden dummies. It is individualized and is NOT mass produced.
    He is a wing chun person, an engineer and wood and iron craftsman. It may cost a little more than mass produced dummies but you will have a superb one that should last you a lifetime.
    I am not his business partner so this is not a spam. he knows his woods and takes moisture, humidity, heat etc into account- things that one should know to prevent cracking on the long run.
    He can adjust to different standing and hanging, framing,portability needs. he knows what the proper angling and spacing of the arms and legs and the degree of "give" that will be optimal for wing chun.
    Go to :< www.azwingchun.com>
    On the left hand is the entrance to my side. On the right is his-
    azwingchunsupplies,
    If you have a trouble getting to the site email me directly
    joy@azwingchun.com
    or Dave at
    info@azwingchun.com

Majic Sam...

In case you're interested, here's a description about the dummy Sifu Williams uses/ endorses:

"Made in the USA by a top qualtiy wood working shop. Manufactured from traditional measurements and is authentic in every detail. The body is made of Poplar and the limbs are American Maple. The is a top-quality product guaranteed! Approved by noted Wing Chun instructor and author Randy Williams. List price $1200. gungfu.com price only $895! add $70/ shipping & handling. Requires the use of a dummy stand (item# P08040A) or wall brackets (item# PO8043A)"

That came from gungfu.com, don't know if they're reputable or not.

Poplar? Isn't this a cheaper wood? The limbs seem good, but they're harder than the body? Does this make sense, Sifu Yuan Fen?

Peace!

Mokujin
    "He's on the jazz."

My sifu makes wooden dummies. What I have seen and heard from people who have them is that they are very happy with it. You can contact my Sifu through his website at www.mukjong.com

Also, if you take a look at the website under School Info you can see an old promo video with some of his dummies in it. If you look under the Gallery section you can look under Gallery 1 and Gallery 2 to see the dummies that he's made. Recently my Sifu wanted to advertise on the web to produce dummies but the changes had not been made yet. All his dummies are custom made. I've seen him many times when I come early when he's sanding, sawing, chiseling, etc. If you want to see the last dummy he finished last summer look at this link: http://www.windycitywingchun.com/multimedia/picmok.html

You can call him or you can email him.

Right Mokujin-
    Yes. I wouldnt use poplar.
    The real good old ones were teak, but the teak forests have been considerably ravaged. And real teak is out of the question on price. But you have to get good hardwood for the body, arms and legs. Also- remember humidity and other cracking issues over time. A famous school in LA had several dummies lined up-all had cracks in the body of the dummy. Also mail order dummies often can have the arms mis-aligned both on the vertical or horizontal planes. There is a lot to custom making- knowing what to measure so that the person has the best possible dummy.
    Some of KooSangs dummies were good- others were bad.
    If you are really going to learn the mok jong form well atleast dont get a misaligned dummy, an improperly chiselled set of holes for the arms and leg with bad angling, or a real cheap flimsy PVC
    dummy

www.azwingchun.com.

I got mine from Great Lion (woodendummy.net), and I am happy with it.

Here is the cost breakdown to make your own:

PVP pipe: $30-50
    Limbs: $175 including shipping
    Materials to make the stand: $40-60 from Home Depot

Time required:
    Measuring everything: 1-2 hours (measure twice cut once)
    Limb holes: 10 minutes each to 1 hour each, depending on how meticulous you are. I cut all mine a bit too small and had to file them out, but it's better than cutting them too big

Support slat holes: 10 minutes each.
    Building the stand: Well, the stand I made is a copy of the stands that www.woodendummy.net (Great Lion) makes, and it took about 4-6 hours.

So, if you're in to building things, it's going to cost you about this much:

$285 for materials
    8-15 hours for total construction.

So, it's definately going to take you a few days to make, if not longer. But, you'll be saving hundreds of dollars, plus you can customize the measurements. For example, I put the upper support slat higher than on "traditional" models so it doesn't get in the way for neck pulling movements. I also changed the stand design a little bit to make it more sturdy.

One thing I forgot to mention, FINDING a schedule 80 8 inch (inside diameter) PVC pipe will probably be the hardest part of your entire project. Make sure you get the right kind that is larger than 8.5 inches outside diameter. Otherwise, the arms and things won't fit right.

Good luck,

Iron
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Dave Lidell's dummies look nice.I would have him round off the leg,myself.

Mukojin,Randy's poplar body IS laminated,and poplar is not a premium hardwood.I wood (?) only use one if I knew the builder,or laminated it myself.$900 sounds about right for what you get.

Andrew P,your Sifu's dummies look alright.Again,laminated.I would place the slat holes (I'm getting all hot and bothered,here!) a bit ****her back,in order to provide more front area.BTW, didn't see a new model on the extra link you provided.

I'm feeling rather egalitarian today,so here are some tips on making a good pvc.
    1.Spend the exra $ on c-900 grade body,and skip sewer grade.

2.Copy Great Lion's stand and use only clear,kiln or air dried fed cedar ,fir or hemlock.

3.Spend extra$ on marine grade plywood or hardwood (1-2") and cut internal caps,screwed and coutersunk,in place for cement.Epoxy the seam.

4.Place top cross slat BENEATH the arms to provide needed space for cement.

BTW,Nichiren.That was focking funny!I dig your sick humor.Keep 'em coming.

My manufacturing background has been with some of the best in their fields.2 yrs w/ Ayotte Drums.Great drums,sheety buisnessmen.2 yrs w/ Larrivee acoustic guitars,and most recently w/ Ronn Dunnett,1 st place in The American Snare Drum Builers Olympics.Hubris aside,it doesn't get any better than them.

The link has small pictures that you click on. Let's try it another way. http://www.windycitywingchun.com/main.html Go to the link. Select multimedia, then gallery, then wooden dummy. Then click on the small pitures to enlarge. The dummy in the background was made by my Sifu.

"Why don't you go the nearest "Internal KF club" and ask if someone wants to train Iron Shirt, Iron Crotch etc. with you. They can then stand "erected" and you fire away at the 108 movements wooden dummy form. Both parties will benefit from this experiense... "

Thats hilarious, but I do that, I wanted a dummy for practise when no one is around.

Thanks for all the awesome help.
    Watch this

Once I've completed my PhD, I will have time to make some wooden dummies out of Australian hardwood for sale. We have some great Eucalypt hardwoods. I'm a perfectionist so would only make a dozen or so per year as a labour of love. The price would be considerably lower than what's generally asked for wooden dummies in the USA, even with the shipping costs. Anyway, that's still a couple of years away and you'll all have forgotten by then! When the time comes, I will post some pics of my wooden dummies on the web.
    "42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot."

Max