Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai, Hop Gar, Bak Hok

Reach of Tibetan empire for reference
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Yup more then correct

Greetings,

I thought you guys might find this site useful. It has a crapload of stuff regarding Lion's Roar, along with some very rare photos for those looking for that historical connection:

http://www.lionsroar.name/

enjoy,

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I thought you guys might find this site useful. It has a crapload of stuff regarding Lion's Roar, along with some very rare photos for those looking for that historical connection:

enjoy,

mickey
    That is Steve Richards site, its got lots of info on Lionsroar and SPM too.
    Steve is a good guy, really nice guy too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There's the bait.

Undoubtedly an interesting read, it would have been better though if the sources of so many info were mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by yeshe View Post
    The word Lama is a Tibetan word.It is a contraction of la na mei pa wich means "nothing higher" it is a translation of the sanscrit word guru.
    It could still be a Tibetan word. What I am getting at is that the Label is also used by other Chan/Zen style Buddhists to refer to a Guru.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

enjoy,

mickey
    I still find this site confusing and difficult to navigate (find what one is looking for). I do know that there is an Indian style called "Diamond Gate" "Indra's Fists" "Thunderbolt Fists" ... It may have been the Indian style that we got stuff from. I met someone from Eastern Europe and he did say they had a routine that was from Tibetan Martial arts.

I also know that Vajra Pani was at one time considered the ... of Some styles of Tibetan Martial Arts. I had adopted Her as the patron saint. The Term Lion's Roar or Lions' Roar may not be connected to what was mention there. It relates to two things: 1) the Buddha declaring his arrival (Enlightenment); and 2) the 4 Lions on the Indian Flag points ...

I would say that Lion's Roar is the proclamation of the Dharma.

Most martial artists would find little meaning in that.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I would say that Lion's Roar is the proclamation of the Dharma.

Most martial artists would find little meaning in that.
    When the Buddha was born, he pointed one finger at the earth and one finger at heave and roared like a lion to announce his arrival

At least that's how the story goes

For people whom Buddhism is intricately woven into their life, I could see "Lion's Roar" being used as a term for their martial art

There IS in Tibet an Lion's Roar sect

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David,

I remember at one time you met the bodyguards of the Dalai Lama.

How much Lama type fist did they know compared to what Chan Tai Shan taught us? Personally, I don't think our art is from Tibet, but from Southern China.

David,

How much Lama type fist did they know compared to what Chan Tai Shan taught us? Personally, I don't think our art is from Tibet, but from Southern China.
    there is, of course, a huge amount of southern Chinese kung fu in Lama Pai. There is also northern, Mongolian and Manchurian in there

There are however certain things that are in Tibetan martial arts that you can see in Lama pai.....

I don't think of Lama Pai as tibetan, I think it is a combo of a lot of traditions

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    there is, of course, a huge amount of southern Chinese kung fu in Lama Pai. There is also northern, Mongolian and Manchurian in there

There are however certain things that are in Tibetan martial arts that you can see in Lama pai.....

I don't think of Lama Pai as tibetan, I think it is a combo of a lot of traditions
    Thanks for your post. May I ask what type of martial arts of Tibet you have been exposed to to be able to see the similarities with Lama Pai?

Thank you.

Regards

David,

And you would not be the only one to have that opinion. I met few people in Hongkong which they were mentioning the same thing, that's why I tried to gather some info at the Qingyunsi but with no luck.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Stephen P. Hayes was personal bodyguard to the Dalai Lama at one time.
    Do you mean to say that CTS ....

was a NINJA???

"My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.