Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quick demo of class

quick demo of class

my student tom did some filming and editing (believe it or not form his iphone) during our class last week and he put this together, hope you enjoy, all comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMcTVots5U
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    Just a general comment about the format of your guy's drills. Many drills start with an opponent's punch, you then react to it by a counter punch or throw. Sometime your opponent's punch will hold in the air too long and won't look good.

IMO, the drills will look more real if you initiate the attack and then when your opponent reacts to it, you fininsh with a punch or throw. This way, since you don't need your opponent to do anything but to block your punch or to step back from your kick, you will have 100% control in your drill training.

Different kind of mind set such as "defensive - react to your opponent" and "offensive - force your opponent to react" will develop different type of fighters. A lion or tiger will never wait for their prey to do anything. They just attack whenever they think that they are ready. Trying to eat your opponent alive will be a good spirit to promote in TCMA.

Here is a good example to show what I'm talking about. You look for your contact points instead of your opponent gives you those contact points that you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwS0a...layer_embedded
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.

very nice ED.

your students look like they are progreesing well.

ginosifu

I don't believe in "demos" myself.
    I think the best highlights of any school are those that have the following:
    Sparring
    equipment work
    strength and conditioning work
    Athletic Semi-clad women

Beyond that, most clips show compliant demos that anyone with half a brain and some experience knows wouldn't work when you needed them to.

But hey, I've seen a lot worse.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

I think the best highlights of any school are those that have the following:
    Sparring
    check

equipment work
    check

strength and conditioning work
    check

Athletic Semi-clad women
    oh yes, check check
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

YKW
    I see your point but that wouldnt be considered self defense? i always tell my students to allow your opponet to attack first and then attack back unstopping until thier are rendered. this is the gentlemen thing to do.

gino , thank you they are coming along some have only been with me for a few years.

sanjuro,
    yeah it was not realy a demo, my student recorded a class on his phone and edited it up as you can see there is strength training, rocking pushups, and drills in there.

so it was a live class, just when through he editing so it looks like a promo but it really wasnt. whats mising the explination and the practice for 2 hours... thanks for your comment though. all is welcome.
    no skanty clad women though......... you were not the editor LOL
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Nice clip, ED! Your class looks like a good balance and everyone is learning and enjoying themselves. That's what it's all about.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

i like the throws in that clip

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

thanks so much iron eagle and gojyu, wopuld like to see more schools post up some videos. nice to share with others and great for feedback and constructive critisizism
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    wopuld like to see more schools post up some videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2jSRm6z-Q
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    SWWEEETTTTT !!!!!

Pain doesn't hurt indeed !

Nice clip MK! Looks like your guys spend a lot of time working that triangle.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Nice clip MK! Looks like your guys spend a lot of time working that triangle.
    First one is a triangle, second one is a gogoplata.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Both from classical Judo

Looks like I need to start working my ground game again.