I'm sitting in a hotel room in Killeen Tx just waiting around to get on an airplane headed for Kuwait. So I brought a bunch of my WCK DVDs and have started to review some of them. I pulled out Alan Orr's "Old School Boxing" series. On the second vid in this series at about the 28 minute mark Alan shows how to defend against a lead hook or hay-maker. And guess what? It ain't that different from what Phil shows on the video that Terence critiqued!

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifupr#p/u/33/SLFWdM3qwfU

---Phil used a Lop Sao in the video above, and Alan uses a Biu Sao, but the idea is the same...they both controlled the strike at the elbow while stepping in and out to that side.

Terence said:
1) in the first few seconds you talk about how "if you are fighting in here (close) a boxer can . . . " and then you go on to talk about ahow you want to be OUTSIDE. No. In WCK's method we want to be INSIDE, close to our opponent,

---Alan is at the same distance that Phil shows. This is punching distance without being within "clinching" distance. I think Phil's point was that if you are that close, you won't be able to see anything coming. If you are that close, you should already be attaching and controlling, not blocking hay-makers.

where you were before you stepped out. You go on to talk about "I can't see what he is doing in there . . ." Of course not. That is why we have CONTACT. WCK is a contact/attached fighting method. When you are "in there" you are in contact, attached so that a boxer can't hit you and you can control him. This is WCK 101.

---Right. But that wasn't what Phil was demonstrating, nor what Alan was demonstrating on his video. What they were both showing was defending against a punch BEFORE you get into that distance.

3) at 22 seconds you talk about "stepping off the line". Nope. You are able to step off the line because you know it is coming. You won't be able to do that in fighting since you won't know what punch is coming and his arm can move much faster than your body.

---Alan also showed stepping out and to the side, catching the opponent at the elbow and unbalancing him. Apparently he thinks there will be time to see this coming. Again, it depends on the distance....as Phil pointed out in his clip.

4) then at 27 seconds you go on to say (and I couldn't believe this nonsense), "the reason I step off the line is because if you were his friend . . ." and you have the friend stand to the open side. WTF? Well, what if his friend was on your partner's other side? Would you then circle into him? It has nothing whatsoever to do with that.

---Yea, I gotta admit, that one was pretty silly! Sorry Phil!

5) notice how your partner only throws one punch and stand there while you do all this movement -- nonsense. He doesn't even face you when you move. No one is going to do that. It is completely unrealisitic.

---That's exactly how Alan shows it on his video as well. Now granted, he has Neil and Aaron drilling this technique "live" in the following section. But Phil only had a 2 minute clip, not an entire DVD.

6) at 1:03 he does a jab and round punch. Of course his jab is thrown from out of range (surprise, surprise) and you reach to block it.

---He did a PaK Sau against the jab, exactly what Alan shows on his DVD. Phil wasn't reaching any more than Alan does.

7) and you don't seem to be aware that at any time, your partner could have hit you with his rear hand. In fact, you were stepping into it. Look at 1:17.

---It was a 2 minute demo. On Alan's video, in the 2 minutes where he is showing the same defense, he isn't too worried about his partner's rear hand either.

So, tell me, are these your WCK "principles" in action?

---If they are, they aren't that different from Alan Orr's WCK "principles." I wish I had the ability to post that clip from Alan's DVD so people could compare it to Phil's clip. I'm telling you....they aren't that different!