Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Inch Power

I think that one of the worse ways to train "short power" is to do it in combos and the reason is that it tends to deteriorate into "slappy hands" with very little penetrative power.
    A good way is to use the lead hand since people tend to catch on quicker with that one and extend it forward till it is touching a target ( a pad or mitt is best at this stage) with its finger tips and then relax and drive through the target as you close your fist. Allow the impact to "recoil" your hand back.
    You should be about 75% extended at this learning stage so that means that you are really driving just the last few inched of the extension of your arm and the real penetration comes from the whole body movement going forward into the target.
    All this is not the easy to explain in words but if you see it you can catch on pretty quick with practice.
    Doing it off the rear hand is a tad harder to pick up but sometimes doing it as a 1-2 combo helps a bit.
    Once you have it down on the pads move to the HB.
    Of course translating this into sparring is a tad more difficult since your partner is not just standing there and he is/should be hitting you back but the crucial element is getting the whole body into because once you have that down then ANY strike whether short distance or not, will always have the nice "english" on it at the end.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Inch punches also serve to prove correct distance for
    Force,iow I can have a student strike me in drills and
    ask them to inch punch me, simply to see if they have
    enough force to move me back 6ft. Using struccture, hips
    force etc..into the ground and back. Elbows have to be in....

Start from your rear foot, then the energy moves up to the hips and shoulders in a wave like manner. The arm and fist merely transfer the energy to the target. Extend through the impact area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Start from your rear foot, then the energy moves up to the hips and shoulders in a wave like manner. The arm and fist merely transfer the energy to the target. Extend through the impact area.
    You forget to mention the 6 direction force, the snake body, the anaconda buttocks and the lama's schlong.
    Just saying.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

...and the orgasmic roaring shudder.

Inch power. Referred to in my training as Choon Ging and something that was more related to the 'palm' than the fist (in the beginning!)

I loved all this stuff when I was a kid, meeting Jim Demile in London changed my view of Bruce Lees famous "1" inch punch 'trick' too because I could see he drew his hand back! Probably to about 6 inches!

Orgasmic spasms aside for a moment:

Now, when I met my Sifu and showed him what I could do he smiled and I didn't know why. Later in my training, when he introduced this 'speciality' of Wing Chun, I knew why. Then his methods to train it just blew me away...

(actually reading that back in context with Roberts reply just don't sound right!)
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 02-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It's as easy as that Mr tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    It's as easy as that Mr tiger?
    Not at all

Training choone ging should be quite natural but I've seen many who just can not grasp it. There are very good methods in Wing Chun pole and wooden man training that benefit this short power. Very reliant on decent wrist torque too imho, which is another reason we train huensau, like, forever!

But when I was younger, it was all Yellow Pages and hanging paper striking!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Inch power. Referred to in my training as Choon Ging and something that was more related to the 'palm' than the fist (in the beginning!)

I loved all this stuff when I was a kid, meeting Jim Demile in London changed my view of Bruce Lees famous "1" inch punch 'trick' too because I could see he drew his hand back! Probably to about 6 inches!

Orgasmic spasms aside for a moment:

Now, when I met my Sifu and showed him what I could do he smiled and I didn't know why. Later in my training, when he introduced this 'speciality' of Wing Chun, I knew why. Then his methods to train it just blew me away...

(actually reading that back in context with Roberts reply just don't sound right!)
    Spencer, that really sounds perverted! What? Smiled? Special training? Back room? Blew him away? Orgasmic spasms? Spencer and his Sifu? WTF? LOL!

Now, is BL doing WCK with his inch punch demo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6aMdskKSo

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You forget to mention the 6 direction force, the snake body, the anaconda buttocks and the lama's schlong.
    Just saying.
    Well I like to leave fantasy to the dreamers.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Now, is BL doing WCK with his inch punch demo?
    Elements of, but not really IMO.
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

It is easy knocking anyone backwards when they stand square to you.

The point is that he's using connected/aligned body mass (fa jing?) to move the guy... Not sure they precisely fit in with VT mechanics... I've seen him do it better, when Jhoon Rhee was in the shot...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

In that video, he's using more leverage than what I would term as "wing chun body connection". Leverage is of course a "body connection" as well, but that's the point - we can be using the same terminology but it can mean different things to everyone.
    He's connecting his body and using it in a manner for leverage (hence his mass rotating over his front foot) rather than what I would call generation of intent and release, which does not cause your body to look that way.

It's the difference between posing something and shoving through. vs. creating a cause and effect in the other person.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

inch force is useful for making another hit from a hit that gets tied up by the opponent grabbing your hand to 'try' and prevent force regeneration/retraction....not
    I used it a lot if guys couldnt stop getting palmed in chi-sao so they would try to hold the tan/palm to their chest not a good idea
    A lot of guys i have taught cant understand the legs energy as the 'supply point' so they tend to compensate with retraction of the hand before striking, or pushing with upper body. You cant feel your own leg force as you do the inch force so it takes reciprocal force exchange coaching and feedback by being the guy who receives the force too, not just talking chi/qi BS .
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-03-2011 at 09:35 PM.