Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite counters to a roundhouse?

Smile Favorite counters to a roundhouse?

so I'm just curious what everyone's favorite counter moves are against the basic round house? ...especially if your opponent is left hand forward and you are right hand forward. My background is in CLF so you can use CLF terminology...but all styles are welcome to respond to this thread of course.

Depends on high or low. And how heavy his kicks are. How conditioning his shins.... these all play a big factor.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

My experience? Don't worry about round house kicks. Go ahead and step in and drive through. If you need to worry cuz you're the worrying type, then if you see it coming, let it by then step in or simply raise a leg to block then step in.

nospam
    佛家

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Depends on high or low. And how heavy his kicks are. How conditioning his shins.... these all play a big factor.
    yep.

just to respond ill go with mid range roundhouse leg to ribs, the most common roundhouse you will find. im all about attacking the base leg. catch and sweep/kick is always a good solid, if you miss the catch go for a single on his base while he recovers. but this is also if hes commited, dont want to go for that base if its a feint can be pretty risky if hes fast enough. but its still always a good dependable, hard to defend the sweep/shoot when your on one leg ha.

check this vid. it covers several catches from leg kicks to rib kicks. pay attention to what is talked about at about 6 minutes in the vid. on dealing if your roundhouse is caught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAKVxC_6ls

i like to dodge kicks aimed at my head same if its knee range or lower. just lift and reset or enter.

there is a lot of lifting to block shin on shin in cma but im not always a big fan of that, but if you keep it nice and tight even if your opponent is better conditioned you can absorb a lot. the reason im not a big fan is it puts you in a similar situation, if you lift and block frequently you will be caught with that habbit and taken down at will.

if they telegraph just bypass it all and beat them to the punch and enter while they shift their weight, at that point they are your toy to play with.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Between Muay Thai and my Buk Sing training the way to "counter/block" kicks is so different. There are a lot of good to be found in CMA and Thai boxing.

Then you have to figure out if it's wearing gloves or not, ring fighting, etc.

If we are talking about trying to finish someone ASAP on the street, then I'd rather eat a kick or block it with my hand (even if it hurts me I can still move in) and use my other hand to hit him. Really depends.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I'd rather eat a kick or block it with my hand (even if it hurts me I can still move in) and use my other hand to hit him.
    You can also catch his kick, hook his standing leg off the groung, push his head all the way down to the ground, and then drop your knee into his groin when he is down.

This is better than to hit him with your hand. In the court, you can always say, "Dear judge! He kicked me. I tried to protect myself and held on him. We both went down to the ground. The back of his head hit the hard ground and that cracked his skull. My knee landed on his groin and knocked his nuts out. His death was a pure accident and I'm as innocent as a virgin."

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0CIy...1215B3EC0851E5

Just do it Bak Sil Lum style...

nospam
    佛家

step in, drop a bomb.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is better than to hit him with your hand. In the court, you can always say, "Dear judge! He kicked me. I tried to protect myself and held on him. We both went down to the ground. The back of his head hit the hard ground and that cracked his skull. My knee landed on his groin and knocked his nuts out. His death was a pure accident and I'm as innocent as a virgin."
    haha thats too good
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My favorite has always been the teep.

And no one does it as well as Buakaw. He's a beast.

I prefer not to shield with my shins because, well, i'm a pu$sy and it fookin' hurts.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

bong sao + chain punching

wins every time

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Off my head, to counter a round house kick is with a front kick to somewhere between the thigh and knee inclusively of the incoming leg. If the kick is attacking my mid to upper gate, I will counter with my both forearms. I have considered thoughtfully of raising our leg to block a round house kick. It is not a good counter move. Even if we are using much strength on our raised leg, it is sort of letting the round house kick to strike it. I think many of you gentlemen have watched fighters whose legs have been kicked more than 10 times in a tournament will usually be defeated.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 04-16-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    The moment that you have caught your opponent's roundhouse kick, it's important to spin your opponent's body so your opponent's punches will not be a problem for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4dL8ozGkX8
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-16-2011 at 12:25 AM.

double underhooks, shoulder check.
    Kung Fu is good for you.