Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: There is no such thing as authentic Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that those who taught Leung Jan (Leung Yee Tai and Wong Wah Bo) helped provide the basis of good wing chun via Leung Jan' synthesis. But the art keeps evolving--progressing in some hands, regressing in others. .. too hard or too soft.But I don't lecture anyone.

joy chaudhuri

The thread is examine what are the facts of WCK instead of who is authentic.

It is not an opinion of mine, it is a reality ----- those youtubes from China above shows the evidents of No single authetic WCK --- different lineage different way.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-07-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

It is not an opinion of mine, it is a reality ----- those youtubes from China above shows the evidents of No single authetic WCK --- different lineage different way.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hendrik- you are "inferring" from watching videos and youtube shots-- all inferences.
    Different people will infer different things-ergo opinions- not facts. There can be a 'reality' separate
    from your inferences. You know the old Indian story of 9 blind men trying to define an elephant by touching. There is till an elephant in the room. It's not the tail, the trunk, the tusk or the feet etc.
    Just repeating the word reality does not make it so.

joy chaudhuri

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    I see it much like Western boxing. There are many schools out there, each of which sticks to various degrees to Ving Tsun concepts and follows the training methods preferred within their lineage. Degree of success of how each school's method translates into fighting varies largely.

The big difference with Western boxing is the lack of sparring and of realistic fight oriented progressive training.

Most schools cling to drills that lost their connection to actual fighting. The drills may look like being fighting related because they involve punches or blocks, but they don't translate into any useful real skill that works under pressure. When these schools venture out to sparring, it degenerates into either a chaotic mess (with no sense for balance, footwork, distance control, timing, punching power, etc.) or a harmless patting game (again with with no sense for balance, footwork, distance control, timing, punching power, etc.). Lots of people assume that they will be able to knock their opponent out based on their unrealistic training, and never realize that it takes actually a good amount of conditioning and punching training to have the tools to do so.

To me, Ving Tsun is authentic when it keeps the focus of everything linked to fighting while following the core concepts of Ving Tsun.
    I'm stealing this for my students....
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

This type of art is called Siu Lin Tau by the creator Miu Shun instead of Wing Chun kuen. and we know today, by DNA, Siu Lin Tau is an art which is the fusion of Fujian Crane and Emei snake.

Ahhhh, the old DNA Crane-snake agenda.

Once again "we" dont know..... that your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

No, its not reality.... once again, its your opinion.

Saying it is doesnt make it so

as a great man once said, "I reject your reality and replace it with my own." jamie hineman (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    as a great man once said, "I reject your reality and replace it with my own." jamie hineman (sp?)
    That was Adam Savage, wasn't it? (The other mythbusters guy).

True words though.

Blog Entries
    If you do your style just like your teacher did, you are no more than a good copy machine. You have no contributation to your style. If you add something that your style didn't have before to your style, you have contributation to your system. Whether your contributation is "enhancement" or "water down", only the future generation will be able to judge you long after your death.

Don't be a copy machine. Don't water down your system. Have contributation to your system is not easy. Whoever can bring the ground fighting skill into your TCMA style will earn your future recognition and that's for sure.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-08-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I'm stealing this for my students....
    Glad to be of service!

sorry yeh it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Glad to be of service!
    Hey, it was a very good post. Thanks
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

You harp on about too much B.S

Your posts are bad for Wing Chun because you and others like you write B.S that you cannot prove.

Fighting is Fighting, whether it be one style or another.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 05-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    sorry yeh it was him.
    No worries, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Niersun View Post
    You harp on about too much B.S

Your posts are bad for Wing Chun because you and others like you write B.S that you cannot prove.

If your looking for truth, then may i suggest you take up Christianity vs Islam and leave Fighting Skills and the MA to real people that train and not look to promote themselves with B.S articles and posts.

Fighting is Fighting, whether it be one style or another.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have already expressed disagreement with Hendrik on this thread... but I don't see what
    Christianity v Islam has anything to do what Hendrik has said on this thread.

joy chaudhuri

There is no such thing as authentic Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Hendrik- I don't know what your point is on this thread. You have your "history".

I do wing chun as I have learned from Augustine Fong, who learned from Ho Kam Ming who learned from IpMan. The principles are quite clear to me and consistent in the line that i have mentioned. Applications and effectiveness can vary with the practitioner.

Consistent principles passed on carefully person to person makes for authenticity in a kung fu system - not labels or typed words. And as is reasonable people have to validate their understanding by their application.

I listen to other folk's understandings.

What's the big deal about this thread?

joy chaudhuri
    I have 2 - friends who are wing chun teachers , they also told me that Fong Sifu
    also learned Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar , but I have no idea who fong sifu learned hung gar and choy li fut from though , but Fong Sifu is good though , pretty fast in chi sao , I don ' t know how often but in some place in the mainland there is a kung fu tournament and fong sifu always comes out with his assistant some times it ' s a women and some times it ' s guy . But he does the chi sao demo and he can trap your hands and strike you in the face and on the right and left side of
    the jaw area with his hands , that ' s what he did to his assistant .

Although Ip Man had alot of students under him , as times went by for the students they each went on their own spreading the wing chun system , but bear in mind that each student who became sifus under Ip Man themselves . Also had their own ideas towards the wing chun art they learned from Ip Man individually .
    In other words every wing chun teacher would have their own individual way of teaching wing chun , their hands techniques , forms , kicks , and the way they face their opponent , are all different from teacher to teacher in wing chun . So it really depends on who you are learning wing cjhun from , your sifu may have learned from Ip Man himself , but since you ' re learning under a sifu , it becomes your sifus version of wing chun .