Thread: ground work for MMA

ground work for MMA

So how does your ground game change when you move from pure grappling to an MMA environment?

I was thinking about this the other day as I helped one of our heavy weights get ready for his first MMA fight, he’s 6ft 5 a solid 118kg (about 260 pounds) and is a very good boxer
    I worked the clinch and several rounds on the ground with him, first few rounds on the floor were straight grappling, I worked the bottom a lot looking for sweeps and subs, from the top I worked subs from side control or mount playing a very tight game

Last 4 rounds we allowed strikes (only to the body as that’s the rules in his amateur event, strange rules no head shots on the ground but knees to the head allowed standing) I allowed him to go full power…probably a mistake as I still ache today…most of our guys we have to really encourage to hit hard when they first start rolling with strikes, this guys boxed and done rugby all his life, its hard to get him to control anything lol

I mainly played top position, looking for positions and chances to hit, mainly crucifix side control, mount and attacking the turtle position, I found as usual in MMA I didn’t look to put the hooks in but control him at his far hip with my hand and nearside with my knee and hit him, and if he rolled switch to side control and hit from there

I find when strikes are allowed I much prefer a riding top game and I am much more conservative with my subs, from top its key lock or kimura I don’t like to go for subs like arm bars where I might end up on my back, normally I like to attack the neck but when strikes are allowed I’m much less inclined to pull guard and go for a guillotine, and if I do find myself on my back im looking to sweep and stand up NOT submit

Does anyone else find their ground game changes when people are allowed to punch you in the head

On a side note I notice its easy to open the guard when strikes are allowed…and that people tend to forget good grappling principles when strikes are allowed…not posturing properly in guard, getting caught with one hand in and one hand out for the triangle, allowing you to pull guard in side control because they are concentrating on hitting etc

The old boxing adage applies to ground work too:
    Everyone has a plan, until they get hit.

If the person on Top, for example, is not looking to sub or even get out of position and is content to nail you every time he gets, the ground game from the bottom changes considerably.
    The guard is great for sub grappling and for guys that want to get out of it via grappling, but for anyone content to "stay in" and strike, the guy on the bottom will have a horrid time ( understatement).
    As long as the strikes ( on top) doesn't over commit and picks and chooses his shots, he can stay in the guard all day and "bomb away".
    Now, from the bottom, its far more tricky ( since the guy on top can hot you too of course), hitting from the bottom tends to make you "extend" and sets you up for a mirad of subs and counter strikes.
    Typically the guy on the bottom uses strikes to keep the guy on top honest enough NOT to try too many things and the guy on the bottom then has time to work for getting out of there.
    Holding the guy on top down tends to be crucial so as to not give him room for striking from the top.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Last 4 rounds we allowed strikes (only to the body as that’s the rules in his amateur event, strange rules no head shots on the ground but knees to the head allowed standing) I allowed him to go full power…probably a mistake as I still ache today…most of our guys we have to really encourage to hit hard when they first start rolling with strikes, this guys boxed and done rugby all his life, its hard to get him to control anything lol
    I am still an advocate of 50% in sparring. Avoid injuries, be comfortable enough to learn new drills, you can coach during rounds, etc.

I found as usual in MMA I didn’t look to put the hooks in but control him at his far hip with my hand and nearside with my knee and hit him, and if he rolled switch to side control and hit from there

I find when strikes are allowed I much prefer a riding top game and I am much more conservative with my subs, from top its key lock or kimura I don’t like to go for subs like arm bars where I might end up on my back, normally I like to attack the neck but when strikes are allowed I’m much less inclined to pull guard and go for a guillotine, and if I do find myself on my back im looking to sweep and stand up NOT submit
    Against a guy who has no training in the ground, the "traditional" BJJ game is very effective. It is a rapidly sliding scale as soon as people learn the basics of the game and start getting good at them

The reason you see wrestling so dominant these days is that without a gi to control, against guys with good training, with strikes, the fight becomes control and strike

Time limits also limit submissions, in the old days, if you missed the sub, you thought "well, it will be there later" (maybe an HOUR LATER!)

On a side note I notice its easy to open the guard when strikes are allowed…
    sort of feel you HAVE TO use open guard a lot with strikes
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

The old boxing adage applies to ground work too:
    Everyone has a plan, until they get hit.
    very true

The guard is great for sub grappling and for guys that want to get out of it via grappling, but for anyone content to "stay in" and strike, the guy on the bottom will have a horrid time ( understatement).
    I think guard was great against strikers who didn't understand grappling (maybe even wrestlers who had never seen it) - but times change.

Holding the guy on top down tends to be crucial so as to not give him room for striking from the top.
    Either no space, or tons of space (ie open guard and push away). This is why "stand up" became important again
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....