Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jow for iron palm conditioning- needed, waste of time, or counterproductive?

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Butter, like all foodstuffs (unlike herbs), are controlled by the FDA and have to meet standards and have regular inspections.

As far as research on butter, here's some:

http://www.cdrf.org/content.asp?contentID=374

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...082.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...22030270862774
    Aspartame is sanctioned by the FDA because Donald Rumsfeld had it pushed through while he headed that org. It isn't exactly what can be call proven, tested or safe and yet the FDA has allowed it on the market for years.

You want more examples of half thought out egregious decisions by government bureaucracies? Cause you can dig that all day long every day for days and days...

Have you considered that your lack of ability to read Chinese may be your greatest stumbling block to understanding? Why would you look to the FDA for Chinese medical knowledge? Surely you can't be that stupid? Or can you?

also, where do you think standard drugs come from? You do realize that most are found in herbs and such right? Oh you don't? Ok. Why didn't you say so?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Herbs, on the other hand, have no such requirements. There efficacy and mechanisms are mostly heresay. Do they pass through the skin? Maybe, maybe not. Are they harmful? Maybe, maybe not.
    With the above statement I rest my case. You don't have any real proof that Jow does or does not work. Please don't harp on anyone unless you find some real evidence. This is the first intelligent statement you've made.

ginosifu

Personally I don't use any jow for my "Iron Hand" (if you can even call it that) training.

I've used it in the past and it seemed to help with bruising a little. But I find that witch hazel and rubbing alcohol (I like the winter green) work about as well.

The best method, for me, is to run my hands under hot for a minute or two then switch to cold water for a minute or two. I'll alternate between the two several times.

Great thing about the hot/cold water method is...it's free. Which means I can do it several times a day over the course of a day - or a few days depending on how bad I bang my hands up.

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Aspartame is sanctioned by the FDA because Donald Rumsfeld had it pushed through while he headed that org. It isn't exactly what can be call proven, tested or safe and yet the FDA has allowed it on the market for years.

You want more examples of half thought out egregious decisions by government bureaucracies? Cause you can dig that all day long every day for days and days...
    Please start your own thread if you want to harp on imagined government conspiracies.

Please start your own thread if you want to harp on imagined government conspiracies.
    Please go away and find a quiet place to consider your stupidity and incongruous thinking that you present here.

also, work on calming your mind somewhat. You are a negative person with negative output and that will effect YOU more so than anyone else you would like to project it on.

just sayin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ok guys, enough with the personal insults.
    Make your case but stop with personal insults, got it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    With the above statement I rest my case. You don't have any real proof that Jow does or does not work. Please don't harp on anyone unless you find some real evidence. This is the first intelligent statement you've made.

ginosifu
    I don't think I ever said I had proof it worked or didn't work, although I think it's a bunch of malarky hoisted on the gullible and I made a case for why it's probably not absorbed through the skin (and if it is, that's not necessarily a good thing).

And that's the whole problem. There is no proof. Just a bunch of unsubstantiated claims based on anecdotal evidence.
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 06-16-2011 at 09:55 AM.

In this day and age, faixapreta makes a valid point.
    If there is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of Jow, then there is no reason for anyone to believe it works, outside of personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In this day and age, faixapreta makes a valid point.
    If there is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of Jow, then there is no reason for anyone to believe it works, outside of personal experience.
    Question for you. You said you have a history of using jows. Have you paid someone money for these or for the recipes for these or were they given free of charge to you?

what percentage of things that you know and believe to be true are in truth facts...laws of nature?

If you use a jow, believe it works, and it does(placebo effect), is it still a waste of money?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Have you considered that your lack of ability to read Chinese may be your greatest stumbling block to understanding? Why would you look to the FDA for Chinese medical knowledge? Surely you can't be that stupid? Or can you?

also, where do you think standard drugs come from? You do realize that most are found in herbs and such right? Oh you don't? Ok. Why didn't you say so?
    aspartame has been linked to autoimmune dysfunctions such as MS, Lupus, etc.
    Not to mention sacharrin, and don't even get me started on the ban of laetrile....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Question for you. You said you have a history of using jows. Have you paid someone money for these or for the recipes for these or were they given free of charge to you?
    Both cases.
    I have gotten Jow for free to show how good it is, paid a small sum for samples, ordered some online and so forth.
    I Have used them from TCM and some from TJM and even from the Filipino systems.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    If you use a jow, believe it works, and it does(placebo effect), is it still a waste of money?
    That is a GREAT question.

Is something that provides a placebo effect a waste of money?

I would say, if it causes damage, it is.

We've already seen one person tout the dangers of using jow with DMSO. If jow is absorbed though the skin, it could have the same dangers.

Another person said it made his bones brittle.

If these things are true, then, despite the positive placebo effect, I'd say it is potentially more than a waste of money.