Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Training/fighting in a rule set

Just a few things:
    What works in the ring, works in the street, simply because they tend to be high percentage basic moves.
    In regards to weapons, the context is basically the same, what works with and VS weapons against a resisting opponent in "the ring" will work outside of the ring.
    Basically because of the same thing - core, high percentage moves.
    I have fought in the ring:
    Judo, Boxing, MT, MMA and even fought full contact with sticks and aluminum knoves and even the "shock knives".
    I have also have the dubious pleasure of fighting outside the ring and have bounced in places such as:
    Night clubs: Monopoly, G-spot, Venus, Meow, The world, etc
    Strip clubs: Jilly's, Brassrail, Flamengo road, Million dollar, etc.
    I have gone one-on-one, 2 and even 3-on-one, I have had knives, bottles and even a machette pulled on me, even been shot at.

IME, what I learned and tested in the ring served me very well outside of it and while my life was never "in danger" in the ring, I never got challenged outside of it like I was inside of it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    and its not a mma vs tma thing i just simply cannot avoid easy set ups.

i know, if there is a hell, i'll probably get a invitation.
    It is NOT and never has been a MMA vs TMA thing, as much as people WANT o make it so.
    It is a sport VS "too deadly" thing more than anything else.
    The very small group that believes that sport doesn't prepare you for the street VS the very small group that believes that TMA doesn't prepare you for the street.
    They are both right and both wrong.

Sport combat systems Of the FC/Full resistence type) prepare you for full contact and all that goes with it, and they do it on a level playing field ( physically).
    The attributes you develop - speed, power, the ability to hit and hit while being hit, etc, serve you very well on "the street", BUT are limited to the ruleset one competes in.
    TMA training has " no rules" but unless FC training is done. they don't build the attributes to be successful in "the street".

The point is that, if a person can't pull off their fighting in a controlled environment, ( no surprises, no outside interference, basically same weight class, etc) they will have less likely hood of doing it when the conditions are NOT level -
    bigger opponent, multiple opponent, obstacle rich environment, lava

"Too deadly". I would think that would be the meathead faction of Kung Fu.
    It's easier to just say, I"m not interested in your sport. lol
    Nothing wrong with being disinterested in sport.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    "Too deadly". I would think that would be the meathead faction of Kung Fu.
    It's easier to just say, I"m not interested in your sport. lol
    Nothing wrong with being disinterested in sport.
    Absolutely, totally agree.

The tags are awesome!

sweet lord when did i return to kindergarten?

Kung Fu is good for you.

You are spot on...

You must always train like you life depends on it.

I have visited numerous schools (Kung Fu, Karate, BJJ, Jui Jitsu) through out my local area and what I learned was that most people become complacent with their training and what they are learning.

You must always keep an open mind and learn from everything available to you.

Thank you all for the fun reads, btw

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It is NOT and never has been a MMA vs TMA thing, as much as people WANT o make it so.
    It is a sport VS "too deadly" thing more than anything else.
    The very small group that believes that sport doesn't prepare you for the street VS the very small group that believes that TMA doesn't prepare you for the street.
    They are both right and both wrong.

Sport combat systems Of the FC/Full resistence type) prepare you for full contact and all that goes with it, and they do it on a level playing field ( physically).
    The attributes you develop - speed, power, the ability to hit and hit while being hit, etc, serve you very well on "the street", BUT are limited to the ruleset one competes in.
    TMA training has " no rules" but unless FC training is done. they don't build the attributes to be successful in "the street".

The point is that, if a person can't pull off their fighting in a controlled environment, ( no surprises, no outside interference, basically same weight class, etc) they will have less likely hood of doing it when the conditions are NOT level -
    bigger opponent, multiple opponent, obstacle rich environment, lava
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    growing up as a kid, most of the schools did not engage in full contact. Contact, yes, but full contact, rarely.
    I know plenty of people who trained with less than full contact who, when forced to use it in street encounters, faired very well. They had distance, timing, and still had impact training.
    just sayin..
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    growing up as a kid, most of the schools did not engage in full contact. Contact, yes, but full contact, rarely.
    I know plenty of people who trained with less than full contact who, when forced to use it in street encounters, faired very well. They had distance, timing, and still had impact training.
    just sayin..
    Of course, some contact is always better than no contact.

There is one thing that we should be aware of though and that is the increase in "people fighting with some skill".
    Granted they don't even come close to being "trained fighters" or even fighters, but there is a growing number that will try to "mma" your ass.

EX:
    My BIL loves UFC, never trained, but he and his circle of friends love it and they fight all the time, in that silly, pathetic, wannabe way of theirs.
    Just 20 something year olds being stupid.
    YET, you can see the obvious attempts at mimicking their "mma idols", the take downs, the GNP's that arm bars and chokes, they all try to do it.
    I just found out that a couple of them even did MMA for a few months.

The point being that it is an issue that wan't years ago.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    There is one thing that we should be aware of though and that is the increase in "people fighting with some skill".
    Granted they don't even come close to being "trained fighters" or even fighters, but there is a growing number that will try to "mma" your ass.

EX:
    My BIL loves UFC, never trained, but he and his circle of friends love it and they fight all the time, in that silly, pathetic, wannabe way of theirs.
    YET, you can see the obvious attempts at mimicking their "mma idols", the take downs, the GNP's that arm bars and chokes, they all try to do it.

good point. I tell my students that before the 70's nobody had really seen much kicking to the head. Most of you were born after Bruce Lee's death, grew up with Chuck Norris, Jacky Chan has his own cartoon show, Power Rangers, Mortal Combat, etc.
    Everybody and their uncle has seen and even tried to kick to the head.
    Everyone has taken Martial Arts, whether in their school, or at the Y, or a summer camp, whatever.
    Don't think that just because you study Martial Arts, that you have some sort of surprise technique.
    Now, MMA is the same way. everybody and their uncle will try to take you down and GnP.
    The adage that all fights go to the ground may not have been true ten years ago, but you can bet it is now.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

EX:

As a jailer, this absolutely blows for us sometimes.

Even if they can't fight, most of the college kids think they can and try us anyways.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Even if they can't fight, most of the college kids think they can and try us anyways.
    do you make them cry and taste their sweet tears

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    do you make them cry and taste their sweet tears
    5 oz jar of jock tear sell for $45 on ebay.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Very true.

There are a lot more BJJ blue belts walking around then there used to be.

Best to be prepared to deal with one should the situation arise.

Though it would most likely be a ****ty bar fight or something - it's not like you've got roving bands of mma-trained muggers or rape squads on the loose in most of the major cites in America.

Just saying.

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    just sayin..
    This is true. Even point sparring trains timing and distancing... Kung Fu would improve dramatically if sparring was incorporated into every class. The first 1/4 of class: strength/conditioning/agility second 1/2 of class: technique or form last 1/4 of class: sparring.