Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Not everyone is a cage fighter.... so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    cool cool. did you see the vid i sent you?
    ready to stream brother
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

ready to stream brother
    Awesome. someone needs to pick him up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    Awesome. someone needs to pick him up soon.
    he has mad drumming kung fu skills
    Tom

he has mad drumming kung fu skills
    yes, his QI drumming skills are extwa-ordinairwee

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    They come up. It's an option. I wouldn't just discount it. You have to think that you have it.

You are giving up control either way, and now your hand is probably cut. It's hard to imagine that grabbing the blade before exhausting other options is rational.
    no your not the 2 on 1 uses leverge from your bottom hand pulling and your top arm pushing weight into the arm, sliding the bottom hand down to the knife would probably create better leverage because the lever is longer, letting go to go for the fingers WOULD give up control

I would have to see what he was trying. People try all sorts of martial arts and get beaten up every day. Without knowing the circumstances of his stabbing, to say that Kali and JKD is crap and greco is the best is ignoring the fact that Many Fillipinos have survived knife attacks against skilled knife fighters for generations. This is the exception proving the rule and a bias against TMA showing through rather than just simply seeking the truth. Is there something to his teaching? Sure... Is that the whole story? NO..
    well lets see he was actually attacked and that changed his whole approach, and now teaches it all over the place (i do know the circumstances and the background)

Well, tell you what. Say you are cornered by a guy with a knife and you have some space from him, You keep your shirt on. How about that. I am sure that when they put out a Greco DVD that says to pull your shirt off, it will be okay. Til then, I guess that I will have to live in a fantasy land that considers all options and not just the ones presented on DVDs.
    its ok i wont have to wait for the dvd, i can just train with him

Its not like i havent had 10 years in TCMA trying those knife defences or anything before making my own mind up.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    no your not the 2 on 1 uses leverge from your bottom hand pulling and your top arm pushing weight into the arm, sliding the bottom hand down to the knife would probably create better leverage because the lever is longer, letting go to go for the fingers WOULD give up control
    Don't let go to get to the fingers. Slide to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A buddy of mine got into a fight, he was all bloodied and we didn't realize till after that the guy had a push dagger.
    I got lucky. It was a screw driver to my bicep. That happened in 4th grade and I learned about evil.

- sword slash on thigh of my left leg. (thanks bro! you jerk )
    - slashed across index finger ducking a throwing knife
    - bitten on both arms and one leg by dogs
    - shot in right shin with cut dime load out of a 12 guage
    - teeth knocked out in a bar fight (pool cue cross the face)
    - nose broke (still straight! woot!)

bumps bruises and minor hairline fractures.

That's life! count em up!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its ok i wont have to wait for the dvd, i can just train with him

Its not like i havent had 10 years in TCMA trying those knife defences or anything before making my own mind up.....
    I have no idea what you learned in the past or how you learned it, but all tma defenses aren't created equal. The stuff that I learned isn't all that dissimilar to the stuff that I have seen in those videos. Proper stance strong double handed controls, manipulating the other person to avoid getting struck, striking to eventually secure the weapon from the attacker via disarm. Moreover, I have 20 years of satisfaction with what I know, those videos just provide added perspective from where I am sitting.

For me, the big points of contention are
    -the fact that you and other believe that grabbing the blade is disarm plan A
    -their are errors in all those videos that could be corrected with anything approximating decent knife defense. Yet, you guys buy into those videos wholeheartedly without qualification. It makes me think that you guys had poor knife defense training before that so your are basing your opinions off of McKwoon junk or you just never learned it.

Going back to my first post on this thread. MMAists are quick do declare things as dead, Striking, kicking, karate, and whatever else were all dead. Somebody with a bit more knowledge about them comes along and puts these things to use. Now with this: Disarms dead, wrist locks dead, blah blah blah... dead... Why not just give it some thought and stop the nut hugging if that is what is going on? You will be so much better off.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-13-2011 at 01:35 PM.

To be fair, I believe most schools do not adequately teach weapons defense effectively.

Plan A when facing a weapon without being armed yourself is and shall always be escape.

I think a lot of places play with aluminum knives and wooden knives but don't realistically look at how an attack takes place and you wind up with:

a) a guy doing a gladiator poke at your belly

b) frankenstein overhead falling stab attack

knives move fast, real fast in the right hand.

Did a drill with Rory Miller back in Montreal before he wrote his book.
    It was of course a knife attack drill and the idea was to be attacked, attempt to stop the attack and the final outcome is to understand the main thing about it: If you engage you will be cut. Period. this is a truth.

I managed to be only hit 9 times or so.

When you attack someone in these drills, really attack them, really explode out at them and really make the touches.

p.s tip: a good knife guy, you won't even see the blade, he holds it backwards and doesn't show it to you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

We used to drill/train for knife attacks with big permanent markers... it was easy to see when you got "cut"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    To be fair, I believe most schools do not adequately teach weapons defense effectively.

Plan A when facing a weapon without being armed yourself is and shall always be escape.

I think a lot of places play with aluminum knives and wooden knives but don't realistically look at how an attack takes place and you wind up with:

a) a guy doing a gladiator poke at your belly

b) frankenstein overhead falling stab attack

knives move fast, real fast in the right hand.

Did a drill with Rory Miller back in Montreal before he wrote his book.
    It was of course a knife attack drill and the idea was to be attacked, attempt to stop the attack and the final outcome is to understand the main thing about it: If you engage you will be cut. Period. this is a truth.

I managed to be only hit 9 times or so.

When you attack someone in these drills, really attack them, really explode out at them and really make the touches.

p.s tip: a good knife guy, you won't even see the blade, he holds it backwards and doesn't show it to you.
    Tom

lol...unfortunately...yes.

or better yet, here's some gracies playing at knives (not very good)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEZS_wBFt8

here's a better one from vunak (meh, better)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is

lol
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 07-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.