Thread: Personal Fighting Styles

Personal Fighting Styles

This is not a question on what style each person practices, although the style will determine some aspects of your fighting. What are you good at in a fight? What do you look for as far as openings that you are good exploiting? What are your weak areas?

I'll give mine. The system I practice is ideal for close combat. Because I am fairly big, people try to stay outside of my range a lot, so I usually find that the fight starts with some long range kicking. I like to enter most from when my opponent and I are parallel in stance. Sometimes this means we just end up parallel, but I also pivot a lot so that we end up parallel, then step 45 and straight into them, watching for a kick as I enter. If the kick comes, its chin na and a step back to unbalance. I aggresively go after the rear leg, and once the opponent is starting to become accustomed to that, a flurry of face/body shots. Always attack attack attack! I look for openings to the ribs and try to get the opponent to devote to side kicks, as I like the practice at hooking them.

My main weakness is my relative inexperience and my devotion to my art. Because most of the tactics I have developed so far relate to the parallel stance tactics, other areas are still to be developed. I am at a stage where my fighting is devoted to catching the opponent in parallel, as that is my cue to enter. As far as my devotion to my art, it is not a serious limitation, it is just that I am single-minded in using the internal stuff in my fighting, and I do not know the whole system yet, so as I learn new things, I incorporate what works for me, so there are things yet to learn that will fill gaps in my fighting.

Good post. Personal fighting styles are what make fighting interesting.

When I was doing bagua, I started using low kicks to get my opponent to start backing up, then chasing them with punches. The only throw from bagua I could pull off was lion from the eight mother palms, so I used that a lot.

On the ground, sometimes I'll bait a sweep to get my opponent to open his guard.

Being as how I teach 8 step praying mantis I love to trap and lock and throw. I try to leave my opponent with as little room as possible to counter or block. I like to use the side door and redirect his YI (intnet) by striking high if I plan to attack low and striking low if I plan to strike high. I find that everyone has a secondary plan to block and then counter when attacked, but I have been very successful for not giving them that opition, this puts them on defense and thus not able to retailiate and I can create my own openings instead of looking for them. This strategy is whats made praying mantis so highly effective and respected as a fighting system.........
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

What are you good at in a fight? What do you look for as far as openings that you are good exploiting? What are your weak areas?

Hitting hard and fast.

I don't 'look' for anything. I step into my opponent and then trust my training.

If I ever went to the ground against a grappler, I'd have to be very very quick to get back up. So I guess I;d have to say ground work is my weakness...as I look around cautiously.

nospam.

I been making a form(kata) for fun and cuz i'm usually bored $h1tless, but anyway it involves mainly elbows and knees with a couple of uppercuts. I'm making it so it can be used in snowy conditions. It has no blocking and alot of evasion. I got the idea from Muay Thai , Tai Sabaki and circle walking, but they both generally accomplish the same thing. Oh yea it has a lot of height changes and body twisting too. It's best used in crowded places, like clubs, bars, parades, hockey games, the circus (clowns are evil). I doubt i'll ever use it, since it probably get me knocked out but i'll be working on it.
    Last edited by Leonidas; 01-18-2002 at 08:02 PM.

I haven't though of a name for it. I'm thinking "Ragin' Porcupine"
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

No spam... I'm pretty sure we don't have the same teacher, and yet...

That is what I tend to do also. Move in, do what I gotta do and step back.

If the opponent is a bit dicey (read: larger than me and exuding danger), I'll wait and defend. But more often than not I will move in and Tiger tiger burning bright.

I've been to the ground on a couple of occasions and I was ok with it. Most of the fights I had when I was younger ended up on the ground.

I've come to trust what I've been taught and my Sifu would always give me pointers and advice after san da which over time gelled into solid tactical concepts.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

cool post

What are you good at in a fight?

Striking Fast

What do you look for as far as openings that you are good exploiting?

Hitting their centerline

What are your weak areas

The ground, which i practice a little bit of to get a feel for it
    "True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu (SF Alpha3)

"U don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong."-Ginger Fist