Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have your shifu competed?

Have your shifu competed?

Question, how many of your shifu compete in tournaments?

I personally know that at least two of my shifus did in the early 70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Question, how many of your shifu compete in tournaments?

I personally know that at least two of my shifus did in the early 70’s.
    All of them, that I can recall.
    Some even outside their own MA.
    My SPM teacher competed in western boxing for example.
    My former Kykushin teacher did boxing and MT.
    My Judo teacher did greco-roman wrestling.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm not sure if my sifu competed in tournaments, but I have seen him fight against people from other styles who "just wanted to do a little sparring"...he never lost those.

CTS did western boxing, initially got unpleasantly surprised by it

He did at least one provincial fighting championship I am aware of, took third

won several military sponsored sparring matches
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks guys; now the second part to the question: do you feel that enhance his ability as a shifu?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Thanks guys; now the second part to the question: do you feel that enhance his ability as a shifu?
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
    Sometimes, that which does not kill you just leaves a hole in your heart and a crushing weight in your soul, leaving you desolate, isolated, alone in your room every night drinking and wondering and doubting, until that day when you finally pick yourself up and decide it's a new day and venture out into the world ready to turn things around and then you hear that that which did not kill you is blowing your brother and the dark, dark spiral starts all over again....

Just saying.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sometimes, that which does not kill you just leaves a hole in your heart and a crushing weight in your soul, leaving you desolate, isolated, alone in your room every night drinking and wondering and doubting, until that day when you finally pick yourself up and decide it's a new day and venture out into the world ready to turn things around and then you hear that that which did not kill you is blowing your brother and the dark, dark spiral starts all over again....

Just saying.
    That's deep. The best revenge is to f*@K her sister (or mother if a sister isn't available).

Well, don't know if my Sifu has ever competed... but I compete (Judo - Jiu Jitsu), crosstrain, & spar other styles, and my Sifu can still slap me around like an unwanted stepdaughter. So how does that fit in?

Last night I was the grappling sparring partner of one of our regular amateur MMA fighters - 155lbs (I'm 165 but I'm old... so that evens out the weight diff) and I had no problems - kind've left me a little worried for him - but in his defense, we weren't striking. And again, my Sifu scares the heck out of me and I wouldn't want to test him by getting too c0cky. So - what if your Sifu has never competed but slaps the heck out of those who do?
    Last edited by MightyB; 08-19-2011 at 06:57 AM.

He fought in tournaments (karate) and challenge matches.
    Last edited by IronWeasel; 08-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That's deep. The best revenge is to f*@K her sister (or mother if a sister isn't available).
    Both if preferable.
    And video it and "leak it" on the net.

This is my current coach whom I train with exclusively. He's competed a few times.

We have several good quality coaches at our gym but because of Riggs' experience, the difference in knowledge and application is worlds apart.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    All of my students' teachers competed.
    Does that count?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It does Rik, because you served your time on the floor too in the old days...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Just saying.
    You found my blog from 2006 again, huh?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting